·
Super Moderator
5,253 Posts
Feed it frozen

·
Registered
7,939 Posts
Discussion Starter #165
I got her to eat a bit, but she was really not interested.
I thought it had to be thawed. I don't know why I thought that. Oh well, now I know. I have fed her frozen stuff before and when I give her knuckle bones to clean I typically half freeze them.
If this goes true to form she should eat again tomorrow evening, she typically fasts herself for about 24 hrs every few days. I was not expecting this with raw but we will see.
One thing I have noticed is when she is finished eating the raw she does not ask me to rub/push on her stomach like she normally does.

·
Registered
7,939 Posts
Discussion Starter #167
I'm afraid of my microwave. All those little radiation thingys jumping around. Not gettin me. Nope. That thing stays unplugged. And closed just in case they are lurking in there waiting.

·
Super Moderator
5,253 Posts
I don't feed straight from the deep freeze. I worry about damage to the lips at -10°. I'll leave it out for an hour before feeding.

·
Registered
7,939 Posts
Discussion Starter #170
She has been doing great! Still on two meals a day but just over a lb total. I tried just one meal and she ate half and walked away. Still likes me to hold her dish.
She does break into the kibble bucket and help herself to snacks. Lol.
And then this morning we head out for our morning walk, get just to the corner and she lets out a Yelp and stops. Left rear leg. Won't put weight on it. Vet is closed for the weekend.
I'm so sad right now. Every time I think we are getting somewhere something else goes wrong.

·
Registered
3,341 Posts
I didn't mean to like this. Well the first part. A little more rest til you talk to the vet.

Reactions: Sabis mom

·
Registered
7,939 Posts
Discussion Starter #172
This is the issue just to get her outside to pee. Then we have the issue of having to walk somewhere so she can go. The landlady refuses to clean up after her dog and Shadow refuses to walk through dog crap.
IMG_20201014_165422_01.jpg

·
Registered
2,222 Posts
I also refuse to walk through dog crap. All in all I think she’s doing pretty well. You don’t need to be so down about her. While leg injuries aren’t something to celebrate, they aren’t anything you need to stress about. She’s a dog not a horse, leg injuries don’t mean the end of her life. If that is your biggest concern with her at the moment, I think you’re doing pretty good. There’s a dog, Miko, that Bear and I saw every day. Miko was a 12 year old malamute who had been paralyzed in his backend since he was 2. He was still living a pretty good life all things being considered. Don’t let the small things distract you from your bigger victories.

·
Registered
7,939 Posts
Discussion Starter #174
I also refuse to walk through dog crap.
Thanks for the chuckle. Lol.
You are right. I'm trying to stay positive and all. She's just running out of legs! I'm going to rest her for the weekend. See where we are on Monday. Hopefully she just tweeked a muscle but at this point it's taking no weight and she can't even use it for balance.

·
Registered
527 Posts
Oh dear. So sorry to hear. Heat/ice/massage/gabepentin ? Puppy pads or newspaper for now ?
Are you handy with tools ? I can see a way you could build a ramp without damaging the existing structure but in order to not make it too steep and be secure it would need to come to the entrance of your living room so it would make it awkward to get to the room on the left of your stairs. Hard to explain but I see a cheap/easy build. If you think it's worthwhile I will take the pic and try and draw it in my paint program.
I looked at ramps on amazon but just eyeballing it I don't think they would be long enough.
Maybe others have ideas too? Go team Shadow !

Reactions: Sabis mom

·
Registered
3,341 Posts
This is the issue just to get her outside to pee. Then we have the issue of having to walk somewhere so she can go. The landlady refuses to clean up after her dog and Shadow refuses to walk through dog crap.
View attachment 570326
That sucks, I'm sorry.

·
Registered
7,939 Posts
Discussion Starter #178
Landlady would never go for a ramp. That room is the laundry.
Good news though, I used an old scarf I have to help her up the stairs and down the disaster of a driveway. It worked pretty good. Let her do the work just kept enough pressure to hold her if she slipped. She wanted to walk further then I planned so I let her lead for a bit and we just took it slow. Limp seemed to get better as we went. Leg is twisting funny, like she really cannot control it.

·
Registered
249 Posts
She almost sounds like me when I pinched a nerve (found on MRI so w know for certain). For me the thing that helped the most was when I was getting out of my car at the doctor and my back went “THUNK” and I was instantly more than 75% better. I think it had been about a week after being put on prednisone to get the inflammation down (bulging disc was pushing nerve against a bone spur),

Also a sling made of pillow cases works well too. Just use one or two to make a loop.

161 - 180 of 214 Posts