German Shepherds Forum banner

141 - 160 of 169 Posts

·
Super Moderator
5,154 Posts
Check the local hardware or box stores for a Dremel.

Gabapentin has an adjustment period. Give it a few days.

·
Registered
7,777 Posts
Discussion Starter #142
Check the local hardware or box stores for a Dremel.

Gabapentin has an adjustment period. Give it a few days.
The vet warned me that because she is a senior it could cause wobbliness or lack of coordination. She was twitching a bit this morning but apparently that's just her muscles reacting.

·
Registered
3,135 Posts
Well, I got the big sore on her back all cleaned up. Gave her a taste of the raw with her evening pills. She was begging for it so that's a good sign.
Sore on her back is just from her chewing where her back hurts. It just gets matted from the vet spray so I need to clean it all the time. She hates it so it's always a fight.
Now on the hunt for a nail grinder because she can no longer walk far enough to keep her nails in check. Every store in North Bay is sold out and for some reason Amazon has a one month delivery time on them.
But the meds seem to be not making her too wobbly, she just sleeps for a bit.
This is what I use for nails.

·
Registered
7,777 Posts
Discussion Starter #144
@Saphire I found one on Amazon last night and ordered it. It's a Dremel with the nail guard and cordless so I can get her while she's sleeping. Lol.
I've never trimmed her nails. Walking and climbing was always enough. It's her side nails that are getting too long, the middle ones are still fine. Dogs use their nails for balance and grip, so they shouldn't be trimmed to nubs.
It should be here in a week.
Tip for everyone, put the stuff you want on Amazon on a wishlist. They alert you as soon as there is a price change or they come available.

·
Registered
7,777 Posts
Discussion Starter #148
Well she wolfed down about 3/4 of a pound yesterday. Lol. First time in her life I haven't had to beg her to eat!
Gabapentin seems to be fine. She is back to her feisty, snarky self. Scaling snow banks and lipping off. No loose stools, no vomitting. She sleeps for a bit right after I give it. That's all.
For anyone who is curious, still no food aggression. I hold her dish and rub her ears while she is eating. She still needs to be close to me.

·
Registered
1,412 Posts
Glad She's eating and the gabapentin fine, moo always slept for a bit too, and the nite dose seemed to help him sleep thru the nite better.
ahhh, seniors, they almost seem to become more child like in their dependence on us, to me, just more endearing, their trust in you. I had wrote once of seeing like a "handing over of the reins".
I don't remember you ever posting about food aggression, moo and my shepherds I'd hand fed, so wasn't sure if you were referring to as she gets older, if that is what you were referring to, I don't think you'll see that at all.

·
Super Moderator
6,133 Posts
Great news! Happy to hear she’s doing better.

Reactions: Sabis mom

·
Registered
3,236 Posts
Well she wolfed down about 3/4 of a pound yesterday. Lol. First time in her life I haven't had to beg her to eat!
Gabapentin seems to be fine. She is back to her feisty, snarky self. Scaling snow banks and lipping off. No loose stools, no vomitting. She sleeps for a bit right after I give it. That's all.
For anyone who is curious, still no food aggression. I hold her dish and rub her ears while she is eating. She still needs to be close to me.
I'd prefer to ♥ this reply. Not just like. 😉

·
Registered
7,777 Posts
Discussion Starter #153
I don't remember you ever posting about food aggression,
Some people had suggested that kibble fed dogs aren't food aggressive because it is not high value enough. That they would be food aggressive if raw fed.
I contend that if the topic of food is approached properly most food aggressive dogs wouldn't be.
Shadow has always associated being close to me, specifically my hands, with food. So there is little chance that any food would elicit an aggressive reaction.
That was all I was referring to.

·
Registered
490 Posts
I have no clue how much of this stuff to feed her. Lol. I'm guessing one stick of it weighs somewhere around 1.5 lbs. So I just keep giving her inch thick slices every few hours. Lol. I'm guessing she will stop when she's full.
Copied from preymodelraw.com:
The feeding guideline is between 2-3% of the adult dog's ideal body weight per day (keep in mind that this is for IDEAL weight...and that your dog might need to lose or gain some weight so adjust the amount accordingly!). For example, if a dog weighs 60 pounds, he should be getting 1.2-1.8 pounds of food per day. The 2-3% is just a guideline, and you should also take into account your dog's energy level, age, breed, etc into account when figuring out how much to feed, which just might mean you would be giving more like 4% per day.

I am doing a happy dance that she's eating🥩🍗🍖🐑🐄🐇🐓🐟 ok so maybe I got a little carried away. lol

Reactions: Sabis mom

·
Registered
7,949 Posts
This is a good raw feeding calculator. I feed raw sporadically as the dogs are okay with this and get no stomach upset. Most often it is already prepared like k9 craving , primal kitchen. I also tried the fresh cooked with brown rice -nothing white with just food for dogs which is new in the area. When feeding raw I just crate Topper my chihuahua as it’s the only time when I saw max run across the kitchen and chase him out of the kitchen during Max’sraw feeding. The chihuahua was no where near is bowl but Max did not even want him in the kitchen. It’s when I decided to always crate topper when during the dogs meal time just to get into that habit. He has no issues with us- none of the dogs did And had fed raw before. No issues with food dropping on the floor either but i assume with the raw diet and the bones it takes longer to eat and leaves their bowl a bit open to any 7lb scavengers.

·
Registered
7,777 Posts
Discussion Starter #156
She has been mad at me all day because her food didn't thaw in time so her breakfast was a bit small and she didn't get lunch. Yes I am feeding her three meals, I just tortured her stomach and she needs time to heal.
Anyway, I finally got some thawed and set it down for her. She walked away. Seriously. I was very excited about this, thought we had solved the eating issue.
I put it in the fridge. Will try again in a bit. She ate about a pound yesterday, and she had about 1/4 of a pound for breakfast.
Not happy right now.

·
Registered
Kimber 3, MacGyver 3 1/2, and Gracie my one year old cat.
34 Posts
She has been mad at me all day because her food didn't thaw in time so her breakfast was a bit small and she didn't get lunch. Yes I am feeding her three meals, I just tortured her stomach and she needs time to heal.
Anyway, I finally got some thawed and set it down for her. She walked away. Seriously. I was very excited about this, thought we had solved the eating issue.
I put it in the fridge. Will try again in a bit. She ate about a pound yesterday, and she had about 1/4 of a pound for breakfast.
Not happy right now.
I hope she eats soon. Please let us know🙂

·
Registered
7,777 Posts
Discussion Starter #158
I'm hoping she's just sore. She was a bit of a spaz yesterday, engaging in the dog version of high marking. Lol. Climb the snow bank, pee at the top, slide down. Lather, rinse, repeat.
I keep telling her she's not a puppy but she doesn't believe me.
Not going to try again for a bit. She needs her pills before bed so I will try a bit then.

·
Registered
490 Posts
Put it in the microwave for like 15 - 20 seconds...not enough to cook it ...but enough to take the chill off

141 - 160 of 169 Posts