German Shepherds Forum banner

101 - 120 of 214 Posts

·
Registered
7,935 Posts
Discussion Starter #101
@David Winners we aren't sure. Vet has done a couple of chiropractic adjustments on her spine because there is a definite issue there, but there is an old injury to her shoulder and her left front leg as well as the tendon in her back leg. She has been struggling to get around since the cold set in so we thought it might help if she did a few weeks on the Metacam. Sort of hoping if she felt better her appetite would improve.

·
Super Moderator
5,242 Posts
@David Winners we aren't sure. Vet has done a couple of chiropractic adjustments on her spine because there is a definite issue there, but there is an old injury to her shoulder and her left front leg as well as the tendon in her back leg. She has been struggling to get around since the cold set in so we thought it might help if she did a few weeks on the Metacam. Sort of hoping if she felt better her appetite would improve.
If it were my dog, I would try 300mg of gabapentin in the morning. No stomach bleeding risk. If that didn't work, I would switch to a different NSAID like carpofen (Rimadyl) to see if she handles that better.

External treatment is always better, so the heat pad, chiropractor, acupressure, maybe CBD could help.

I used FeedSentials, Shemp oil and Sunday Sundae with Fama with fantastic results.

Reactions: Sabis mom

·
Registered
7,935 Posts
Discussion Starter #103
If it were my dog, I would try 300mg of gabapentin in the morning. No stomach bleeding risk. If that didn't work, I would switch to a different NSAID like carpofen (Rimadyl) to see if she handles that better.

External treatment is always better, so the heat pad, chiropractor, acupressure, maybe CBD could help.

I used FeedSentials, Shemp oil and Sunday Sundae with Fama with fantastic results.
She will continue with the chirpractor monthly or more as needed, and I have a heating pad ordered. I will talk to her vet on Tuesday and see what she thinks but there will be no more Metacam I think. It's weird because she has taken it several times before.

·
Registered
7,935 Posts
Discussion Starter #104
You know what makes me angry? Lol. Besides everything. I feel like I have been fighting to get this poor dog proper treatment all her life! I have been saying for years that there is something wrong with her spine. Finally someone listens to me and yup, there is a problem. So how long has my poor girl been walking around hurting?

·
Registered
7,935 Posts
Discussion Starter #105
No puking! Gave her a sprinkle of kibble with her chicken and rice.
Hoping this holds. One more bit of chicken and rice at noon then small meals of dry kibble if she seems ok.
Wondering if I should try a bit of the goat's milk?

·
Super Moderator
5,242 Posts
I would stick with sloppy chicken and rice for a couple days before I introduced anything else. Give the gut a chance to heal a bit.

JMO

Reactions: Sabis mom

·
Registered
7,935 Posts
Discussion Starter #107
I would stick with sloppy chicken and rice for a couple days before I introduced anything else. Give the gut a chance to heal a bit.

JMO
I can do that. She is just really hungry, which is a nice change from fighting to get any food into her.
I will give her one more day anyway.
It would be really nice to have not problems with her for a minute.

·
Registered
3,063 Posts
Most adult animals don't have the enzymes needed to digest milk, so not a good thing to give them after puppyhood.

·
Super Moderator
6,161 Posts
I think once you feel like she’s not going to start throwing up again, I’d give her goats milk. Like I’ve said before, it was one of the few things Sage actually liked when she was ill. I was desperate to get some calories in her, and that worked.

·
Registered
3,063 Posts
There’s a big difference between goat and cow milk. Goat milk is actually good for digestion and helps fight inflammation. Lots of other benefits for dogs Goat's Milk for Dogs | What REALLY are the health benefits?
That reads like an ad for goat's milk. Here's the SCIENTIFIC FACT behind milk, as anyone who's studied digestion will tell you. Digesting milk - ANY type of milk - requires the enzyme LACTASE. Most animals, especially carnivores, do not produce much lactase once they are past the weaning stage.

·
Super Moderator
5,242 Posts
I see no difference in goats milk and cows milk. Yogurt and kefir are tolerated better because the bacteria that colonize the milk consume the lactose.

·
Registered
1,420 Posts
Sorry to hear Shadow going thru a rough spot. I second the gabapentin, my shepherd Cody had problems with the metacam and rimadyl, like you said had been on several times but became a " buildup" intolerance overtime. Moo, not GSD, was on gabapentin and low dose cortalone for nearly 2 years, they tried weening off the cortalone a couple times but his appitite and general activity would go downhill so ended up keeping him on both, I think the steroid helped a lot. We walked at the park a lot and he was able to jump up on the couch even in his last week. From your posts, sounds like the meds had to do with her vomiting, moo got to where he only ate canned or cooked chicken, I found the "richer" flavors, the ones like liver/beef, he'd eat, but then like vomit the meal. Hopeful the vet will help get her comfortable. You are taking caring of your girl.

·
Registered
1,420 Posts
I was going to add, the gabapentin was 100mg, given twice daily, cortalone 1.5mg, 1/2 tablet given once a day. I usually gave cortalone and one gabapentin with his breakfast, then the other gabapentin with what I called his after supper small "dinner" in the evening

·
Registered
686 Posts
I have 1st hand experience with cancer dogs that would barely eat anything and goat milk helped to nourish them back to life whatever time they had left.. if I have substituted it for cow milk- there would have been puking and diarrhea instead. I agree that yogurt and kefir are tolerated better. Looks like there’s a bunch of older threads on this forum discussing it.
Probably me being old fashioned but a few years ago there were stories online and on the dog forums that I belonged too describing horrible side effects of using Rimadil. Derramax and Metacam being a safer alternative.

·
Registered
4,882 Posts
I had a dog come back from the brink on goat milk too. But it was raw goat milk that I had hand milked from my own pastured, organic fed goat herd. So I think that's a whole different kind of milk than say pasteurized goat milk in the store or even goat milk from goats who live in a barn and eat huge quantities of grain. My goats did get grain, but the majority of their food was pasture and some hay supplemented when they were put up overnight to keep them from being killed by animals.

IT was a foster dog who had really been thru it and she was skinny and sick and wouldn't eat. She got into my toss pail by accident and drank the whole thing and perked up. So I started feeding her my toss milk every day with her kibble and she thrived for the first time and I felt I'd tried everything before that to get her to want to eat and want to live.

·
Registered
7,935 Posts
Discussion Starter #117
Shadow tolerates goats milk well. She likes it and it has been effective in getting her to eat. For the record I cannot drink cows milk. It gives me horrible stomach craps and nausea. But I can drink goats milk.
Carmen had suggested goats milk ages ago for Shadow. I'm in North Bay, so it's not like there is a ton of health food resources available. We tried yogurt and she decided she is not a fan. The stores here sometimes have kefir and sometimes not.
Basically I give her a small amount of goats milk in a bowl, wait 20 minutes and feed her breakfast.

The Metacam. It has always been my preferred go to as I found many dogs tolerate it better and there is a lower risk of side effects. Plus the potential for long term effects is lower. This is the first time I have had a problem. Shadow will not be getting it again. I will speak to her vet tomorrow about other alternatives. I didn't even consider that for a dog with digestive issues it may be a problem.

So basically I am keeping my fingers crossed that this was just a set back. Because soon I will need too start considering if this is worth it for her or if this is all for me.

·
Registered
527 Posts
So basically I am keeping my fingers crossed that this was just a set back. Because soon I will need too start considering if this is worth it for her or if this is all for me.
I think there are many crossed fingers on here for Shadow. 🤞

·
Super Moderator
5,242 Posts
Selfless decisions are the hardest to make. She's a tough girl and you are doing everything right. We're rooting for Shadow 🥰

101 - 120 of 214 Posts