German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Me and shadow were at the dog park having a fun day when a pit mix attacked me he had his jaws locked on my left hand and shadow jumped on the pit but the dog wouldn't let go of me so my next instinct was to get the dog off of my hand and that's when I heard the dog yelp shadow had managed to get him to let go needless to say I had 2 pucture wound on top and 1 on the bottom of my hand thank god shadow was there and thankful that shadow didn't get hurt can't believe he is that loyal and protective this early in age

Attachments

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The pit tried to go after shadow but the owner took control of him some of the dog owners witness the whole thing so they called animal control and the Sherrif the owner agreed to pay the hospital bill But he was slapped with a bunch if fines but glad shadow was there can they be really that protective I'm a first time gsd owner and have no idea how the gsd breed is

·
Registered
6,662 Posts
Awwww good job Shadow and just a baby yet too.

So glad Shadow is O.K.

BUT - Is your hand alright today? After reading and seeing the pics of Gatorbytes hand (she was bit in the hand by a pitt too) those type of wounds can be really serious.

·
Registered
2,318 Posts
What a brave boy. I hope you feel better soon.

·
Premium Member
14,021 Posts
Did they impound the PB? He should be observed for rabies.
I don't know how dog parks work where the OP is but by us you have to have a permit and in order to get that permit the dogs have to be vaccinated and up to date. But by me there would have been no fines either because it's states on signs as you walk in that they are not responsible for any injuries....enter at your own risk. When my dog got attacked the owner paid for the vet bills on their own and no report was ever made to anyone.

·
Banned
7,657 Posts
Clearly an impressive story,you got a good one! My guy saved me from an attack also, while I was defending him.

But the dog targeted you and not your dog??

·
Registered
524 Posts
Good job shadow! Hope your hand feels better! I bet Shadow got very spoiled when he got home that night!

·
Registered
476 Posts
Sorry to hear about your injury- good reason to stay OUT of the dog park- next time you or your GSD may not be lucky- there are alot of idiots in dog parks-

·
Registered
8,690 Posts
You have a very brave dog, I hope you heal soon

·
Registered
335 Posts
Did you get proof of vaccination for rabies? Make sure that is produced. Dog parks for us West coast types are not so good due to the amount of owners who don't have control of their dogs, choose aggressive breeds, and don't keep up the vaccinations. Make sure they follow up and get you the rabies cert. or indeed have proof of licensing (for which you have to have the rabies current). Is your tetanus shot up to date? Punctures are punctures and you may want to update that if it has been a long time.

·
Registered
158 Posts
I'm glad you and Shadow are okay. Unfortunately this sort of incident is not that uncommon at dog parks where any person can walk in with any dog of any temperament. :(

·
Registered
18,371 Posts
Glad Shadow is okay and hope you heal up quickly. This is why I don't do dog parks.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Animal control asked for proof of rabies from the owner and me to but the owner didn't have any so they took his pit until further notice but my tetanus shot is up to date and my hand feels a little better today thanks for the support I'm staying away from dog parks I'll take him to the lake or something. that was a close call

1 - 20 of 31 Posts