German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,197 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
is anyone feeding this? We just switched from HundnFlocken. The kibble seems so small. Too small for GSDs? Also what are you paying for it? I'm paying $63 for the 33lb bag.

Thanks!

·
Registered
1,708 Posts
I just started a bag ~1wk ago. I was using it along with TOTW & EVO but 2 of mine got puddin poop big time. I think it was triggered by my daughter massively over feeding (& EVO at that!) when she visited over Xmas but I wanted everything nomal before feeding it again.

They're doing just fine on it, but no better than on TOTW from what I've seen...Or Canidae for that matter. I'm thinking of using the richer diets during the months they're most active...spring & fall 7 perhaps feeding canidae the months the heat or extreme cold has 'em less active.

$63 is about what I pd. I don't mind the smaller kibble, but IMO the food is kinda stinky...the herring perhaps. I'm the only one who objects. All of my dogs like it just fine. (I haven't encountered a food they don't like actually)

·
Registered
10,225 Posts
Renji did very well on this food before he was moved to raw. It was reasonably priced, $50 after tax for the largest bag last fall (which is not that big). I think there were concerns about the owner of Solid Gold, not sure if those are still valid, but the food did him very well.

·
Registered
377 Posts
I had one of my dogs on this for about 6 months. Then several months ago I switched to Orijen.

Before going to barking at the moon, my dog had soft/pudding poop/diarrhea for a long time, over about 6 different kibbles. BATM worked great for him and for once he had solid stool. His coat improved greatly and he had lots of energy. The cost was the hardest part for me. I had some coupons I could use during the time I fed this food, but then the coupons ran out and the price went up.

So it was mostly cost that drove me to look elsewhere....and I've been able to get a good deal on Orijen. The retail price around here is about the same for the two kibbles though.

·
Registered
1,197 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks! Yea we're going back to HundnFlocken, the cost is not justified to me since they did so well on HNF. DianaM - yea that company owner had to go to jail for a month or two a long time for making 'false claims' that her food cured certain conditions. However, that has been exactly my experience which I've said in several posts now. Since putting them on SG HNF and Nupro, their chronic ear infections and Rocky's corneal ulcers are GONE! Jessie's ear infections we spent hundreds and hundreds trying to get rid of it. Cultures, antibiotics then antifungals, Corium, cleaning every day. Then I got sick and couldn't clean her ears for a long time, they got worse but then we switched to SG (first to Wolf King) and now 6 months later I look in her ears and for the first time in her life, she doesn't have ear mites! I'm sold.

I'm sure that's not the only super premium food that would have done that but I don't know and I don't see any reason to go further.

One weird thing with their poops on BATM is they look like charcoal!

·
Registered
377 Posts
The charcoal color is interesting. My dog's stool was always kind of army green in color. Hmmmm.

I was also going to mention that another option might be the Hundchenflocken. That's the puppy version of the lamb I think. If I were to go back to one of their products, that's probably the one I'd go with. Lower cost than BATM, but higher protein and energy than their adult grain-inclusive formulas. And so far anyone I've talked to has said that the puppy formulas are fine for adult dogs....weight gain would be the only issue for some.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts