German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just adopted a dog but due to his severe social anxiety he is constantly being alerted and starts getting aggressive and barks alot and i have my little brother in the house so I need help on how I should keep him outside without being so noisy and scared. I live on a street where there are lots of dogs so when he barks more dogs bark and it just becomes a mess as he then gets scared that their might be doga outside so he gets extremely nervous please help

·
Super Moderator
4,949 Posts
This dog's world is inconsistent. I imagine we'd all be a bit shaken up and "barking" and nervous if we went from a shelter and then to a home with no idea what was going to be next. The best thing I can suggest is to keep you dog contained if you can. When home keep him in the same room as you if you can so that you can redirect him. That means when he starts to bark, show him a place to go lay down and reward him when he is relaxed. A lot of little treats one right after the other might get his attention but only do that when he is on his mat or pillow and relaxed.

Then do everything as consistently as you can. Try to do the same routine each day and feed at the same time and potty the same time. Over a couple of weeks or months your dog will learn to thrive on the routine. That doesn't mean that you have to live like that forever. Variety is fun, but for now your dog needs to learn what to expect and what is expected of him and routine helps a great deal.

·
Registered
1,423 Posts
Is this dog meant to be a strictly outdoor dog?

1 - 4 of 4 Posts