German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
381 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

About 2 weeks ago, Maximus came down with what appears to be pyoderma. He had a couple of pimples in his abdomen area and one area on his inner thight that looked like poison ivy. I bought a medicated shampoo and newinol ointment which seemed to help. I came home Friday and found several lesions on Max... By last night, there were several more and the one on his right cheek was very large. (and disgusting)

I dropped him off at the vet this morning and waiting to hear from them. From what I've read online, it sounds like he will need antibiotics to help clear it up and hopefully the underlying cause. Figuring the vet will do a scrape to determine what's causing it.

I've read so many different things, I wanted to post here and hear from others who have had to deal with this. The open sore on his face made me feel horrible... I was ready to take him to the emergency vet last night.

His diet hasn't changed, we haven't gone to any new areas lately that I can think of... the one thing we have been taking Max to, is a stream that feeds a lake here... the water is clear, but most of it run off from neighborhoods I'm guessing.

He eats raw, is happy and healthy otherwise. I'm just trying to figure out what could have caused this and to try and prevent it from reoccuring.

Any past experiences, thoughts, suggestions, or links to helpful articles would be appreciated.

·
Registered
5,389 Posts
Did you start any HW/flea prevention? any recent vax.? and/or at same time of each other?

·
Registered
381 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
No.

He had a heartguard one month ago and I gave him an Iverheart yesterday. He had his last 3 way shot a month ago and was scheduled to get his rabies shot this Wednesday. When he had his 3 way, that was the only shot he had at the time.

I first noticed the pimples around the 2nd of this month, which would have been around 2 weeks after his 3 way vac.

He's been eating the same diet for the past 2 months without issue. I tried to think of any changes that might be cause an allergic reaction, but there aren't any. He runs around the back yard, plays in the ivy, woods, etc...

He's on garlic only for flea and tick.

I can't get the image of his cheek out of my mind... it really looked horrible last night and I feel terrible about it.

·
Registered
5,389 Posts
Hi,

About 2 weeks ago, Maximus came down with what appears to be pyoderma. He had a couple of pimples in his abdomen area and one area on his inner thight that looked like poison ivyI came home Friday and found several lesions on Max... By last night, there were several more and the one on his right cheek was very large. (and disgusting)

it sounds like he will need antibiotics to help clear it up and hopefully the underlying cause. Figuring the vet will do a scrape to determine what's causing it.

The open sore on his face made me feel horrible...

I'm just trying to figure out what could have caused this and to try and prevent it from reoccuring.
He had a heartguard one month ago and I gave him an Iverheart yesterday. He had his last 3 way shot a month ago and was scheduled to get his rabies shot this Wednesday.

I first noticed the pimples around the 2nd of this month, which would have been around 2 weeks after his 3 way vac.

He's been eating the same diet for the past 2 months without issue. I tried to think of any changes that might be cause an allergic reaction, but there aren't any. He runs around the back yard, plays in the ivy, woods, etc...

I can't get the image of his cheek out of my mind... it really looked horrible last night and I feel terrible about it.
So you treated w/heartguard approx. same time as 3 way vax. two weeks later lesions start to show...a pups immune system is in a state of flux up to 10 days post vax. - heartguard (pesticide) is in system...more lesions break out, severe on cheek and now a dose of Iverheart.

Now at the vet and thinking abx. will treat the underlying cause...nope, will just supress the immune sytem further...

I would suggets you hold of on the rabies until all is healed (not masked by abx.) - very bad sign and could lead to all kinds of irrepairable damage...

Boost the immune system with something like bovine colostrum for couple weeks and look into cedarcide or something for mosquito bite prevention

Also before you add ivermectin products to your dog you should test for MDR-1 mutation, this could build up in the brain leading to seizures and/or death

If your vet cannot deduce that the pesticide is responsible for the skin issue - find a holistic vet that will work with you and healthy prevention

Thankfully your pup is on raw:)

·
Registered
381 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I do have Cedarcide I use before our outings... but due to the area and mosquitos here, a lot here have recommended keeping him on heartworm meds year round.

I'll have to talk to the vet about the rabbies shot. It's required by 4 months of age here and Max will be 4 on Wed. I held off as long as possible before having to give it to him.

I'm not sure if they can do a scrape in their facilities and see if it's an actual mite issue or not. Waiting to hear what they find and if they are going to do a blood panel for allergies.

·
Registered
5,389 Posts
Just an article for consideration

I don't think the rabies police are going to be knocking on your door just b/c your pup turned 4 months old and din't get the vax.

Vaccinating Unhealthy Pets: Beware Reactions & Vaccine Failure | Dogs Naturally Magazine

it is stated in mercks own manual and inserts in the packaging of vaccines NOT to vaccinate a sick animal - but the manufacturers leave it up to the vet to decide waht constitutes healthy.

You have to advocate on behalf of your dog. Ask your vet for the insert AND also ask for "Thimerosal (mercury) free"...if he/she doesn't use - find another vet

·
Registered
381 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I just spoke to the vet...

She said Max has a hot spot on his face and the rest is pyoderma. Again, this is my first time having to deal with this, so want to mention what she said.

She's going to shave the hair around the hotspot and give me a powder to keep it dry. She's also going to give me an antibiotic for the pyoderma (didn't ask which). She said the hotspot would take a while to heal completely, but in a week, the pyoderma should be completely cleared up and the hot spot dried and healing.

The reason I mention this is that she is giving me a weeks worth of antibiotics... every article I've read said it typically required 3-6 weeks worth to clear it up. And they are not doing any blood work or scraping to see what the underlying cause is.

She suggested we wait on the rabbies shot until it clears.

Should I just go with what the vet is recommending? Just seems like we're putting a bandaid on the problem so to speak.

One thing I forgot to mention, which I talked to the vet about, is that I saw what I thought was a scratch on Max's face where the hotspot is. He loves sticks, so figured he scratched himself on a stick. The vet said this may have been the cause of the hotspot and contributed to the pyoderma...

Thoughts, suggestions?

Thanks!

·
Registered
381 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I ordered the Penaten on Amazon and will keep that... figured it doesn't hurt to have on hand and can use it on Max when it arrives to help the symptoms now.

·
Registered
5,389 Posts
Do you have coconut oil (raw organic cold pressed - "nutiva") - use that on the face and other area's.

I would def. get bovine colostrum to treat from the inside

Make a spritz of 50/50 raw organic apple cider vinegar ("braggs") and water and spritz or make compresses and use on the other area's - face too if not near the eye...hot spots usually break out on the torso

either way this will re-balance the skin PH and fight of any yeasts (which is likely the problem do to the immune malfunction)

and feed 1 tsp of coconut oil per 10lbs of body weight

the vet can call it whatever they want - the issue is still the same, your pup is likely having a reaction to the heartworm prevention

Happy to hear they suggest to wait on the rabies - best to wait until 6 months when the immune system is fully developed and give a chance for it to heal what is going on.

cephalaxin, temeral P are very harsh abx. and you should avoid them.

Bovine colostrum works on the immune system the way the thymus gland does (modulating).

You can use a combination product Seavive which has colostrum and seacure (amino acids in highly bio-available form - promote glutathione - body's natural anti-oxidant to remove effects of chemicals)

Proper Nutrition - SeaVive® Questions & Answers

·
Registered
13,884 Posts
it sounds like your dog's skin problem stems from an immune system that was challenged to a greater extent than it could handle . The black skin sounds like a fungal problem often seen in malassezia . Pentaten is not the forumulation that it used to be . The active ingredient, zinc oxide has been significantly reduced .

Better topical solution would be VETERICYN which is anti fungal, anti bacterial --- does not sting , actually assists in wound healing.

Rabies vaccination would be risky at this time. Good articles in Dogs Naturally Magazine.

·
Registered
1,735 Posts
Meh Zeus now has the red bumps on his belly and on the back of his take he has a few scabs that are itchy and flaking =( he gets coconut and fish oil in his food. No sure if this is allergy, from him being wet, I am just so clueless and not sure what i can put on it to help with the itch, its all scabby and dry.

I can have the vet see him on Saturday (this has been going on for couple weens and got worse on his back). I did order VETERICYN. would vinegar, aloe or peroxide help in mean time?

·
Registered
17,397 Posts
Tick diseases can cause pyoderma (the one paper I read noted ehrlichia), so always good to rule those out.

Things to increase the IgA for skin protection would be good. Vitamin A from fish and not plant sources is thought to be better utilized.

·
Registered
1,735 Posts
He did have a tick bite, was a Lone Star tick. I think the nibbling started way before the tick bite. But we could of missed a previous bite.

I used some witch hazel on hid belly before bed and in the morning the bumps looked so much better!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts