German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As of late my boy Nitro has had a pretty significant limp after playing for an extended period of time. It's puzzling to me because he's about 2 and a half months from his second birthday and when he stretches out in the morning or when he wakes up I can hear a pop like someone cracking their knuckles. Now he get's regular play as I work at a dog kennel, he's not over weight and he eats very good food, and is a pretty mello dog overall. I was just wondering if I need to take him in and get X-Rays taken or if there is a joint supplement I could be giving him to help with this.

·
Registered
3,325 Posts
Sounds like what happened with our dog just before her 3rd birthday. As it ended up she had a torn ligament in her right rear knee and is recovering from TPLO surgery. $$$$

We took her to the vet, did xrays of hip and spine - they were in good condition, was advised to "rest" the dog for two weeks, if limping continued see the ortho vet. We never heard a pop or crackle, so your dog could have another injury. If you want to try the conservative route, you can just do moderate walking, no jumping, running, playing for two weeks and see if limp goes away, if not then x-rays or ortho vet.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts