German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My wife was given a GSD puppy as a gift from here sister. "Raleigh" is about 7 years old now. He was diagnosed with hip displaysia at an early age. I was able to control it with Gluacosamine but it got really bad this year. A couple of months ago he lost complete use of his back legs.

The vet said they could look into FHO surgery but it would cost $1500 per leg. Unaffordable for me.

Does anybody know of a vet that could perform this surgery for less.
My wife & I are now separated and I am looking after Raleigh. I am work long hours during the day and am gone a lot on the weekends.

I would love to find an affordable vet for this surgery and then maybe a good home for Raleigh where he can get the attention & love he deserves.

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
9,602 Posts
Oh, I'm so sorry to hear about Raleigh and your situation. You might look into a rescue in your area that will take him and have the surgery done, but you would probably have to surrender him for adoption. Which frankly, may be the best option given your hours. Tell us what city you're in and most likely someone on this forum can help. Again, my sympathies to all and thanks for doing your best to care for him. You could post this to the adoption forum and see what happens.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Oh, I'm so sorry to hear about Raleigh and your situation. You might look into a rescue in your area that will take him and have the surgery done, but you would probably have to surrender him for adoption. Which frankly, may be the best option given your hours. Tell us what city you're in and most likely someone on this forum can help. Again, my sympathies to all and thanks for doing your best to care for him. You could post this to the adoption forum and see what happens.
Yes, I forgot to mention that I'm in Southern WI. I'm about an 45 minutes south of Madison, 90 minutes north of Chicago.

·
Registered
9,602 Posts
There are many many wonderful helpful and informative people on this forum so hopefully you'll be able to find Raleigh the help he needs. Again, you might post this thread and maybe a picture to the non-urgent adoption forum. Best of luck to you both, I know it's a miserable position to be in.

·
Registered
2,951 Posts
Look into any veterinary teaching institutes in your area- many provide surgery/care for less because your dog is used as a teaching tool and for research on the disease.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks for all the suggestions.

I am currently out of town on a business trip. I'm gone all week. My wife is watching Raleigh.

My work schedule is just too demanding to be able to give Raleigh the attention he deserves. It's is just breaking my heart.

·
Registered
668 Posts
Here in Colorado Springs, at Colorado Canine Ortho, you can make payments on the FHO or THR - whatever you choose. I know you put a percent down and then tell them what you can afford to pay monthly. Our Hannah has severe HD as well, but we're waiting a bit to get this done. Oddly, none of it is credit based.

·
Registered
668 Posts
Look into any veterinary teaching institutes in your area- many provide surgery/care for less because your dog is used as a teaching tool and for research on the disease.
Oh, I wish. Not in here in Colorado. I called either CSU - Fort Collins or UC - Boulder (can't recall which one) and they were about $4,600 per hip for THR compared to Colorado Canine Ortho is $4,000/hip for THR and I think less than $4,000 total for a FHO on both hips. They say she's a good candidate for FHO because she's so small, but I can't bear seeing her not able to jump anymore. She loves playing frisbee. :( Ok, rambling over for me.

Link - Veterinary Specialty of Colorado Springs

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
White Paws German Shepherd Rescue, Wisconsin may have some ideas for lower cost but still quality surgeons who can do the surgery. Myoung on this board is an active volunteer.

Prices have definitely gone up in 8 years.

Thanks again for this recommendation. I just got off the phone with them. I have appt. this Friday.
The FHO surgery (if Raleigh's a candidate) will cost around $500 total for both legs.

·
Registered
2,999 Posts
Dogs that have had FHO surgery can jump!
Also, they may tell you to do one THR, FHO on the other hip (if needed) to save money.
Best of luck. Rooting for Raleigh!!!

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
A sincere Thank You to everyone for the kind words of support.

I want to clarify that Spay Me Clinic in Sun Prairie WI is the animal hospital that I have the appt with.

White Paws German Shepherd Rescue recommended them.

Here's a pic of Raleigh wearing his favorite pink scarf.

·
Premium Member
21,368 Posts
awww he's a handsome dude, good luck with the surgery please keep us updated:)

1 - 20 of 24 Posts