German Shepherds Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
What does it take to get a service dog and would my "condition" qualify in registering my dog as one?

Let me explain...

I'm 16 years old and as long as I can remember I've suffered from Agoraphobia. (For those who don't know what it is: http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/agoraphobia/DS00894 )

I can't even go into simple places like Wal-Mart and I've even had to have my mom walk me out to the car because I'd be crying. I also have a problem where I constantly have to use the bathroom. Even if I don't, I feel like I do because for me it's an "escape" from what I'm doing. I was on medication for a little over a year for bipolar/depression problems. The results? I became suicidal and attempted to hang myself and cut myself multiple times. After my mom found out I was taken off the meds. This is when I realized how much animals helped me. I started taking my dogs anywhere allowed and oddly enough I'd have no problems so long as they were with me. After my dad passed away (It's been almost 6 months now) my problems got a lot worse. Now mom wants to put me BACK on medications but I'm scared it'll just be like last time. I haven't taken any since I was like 12 or 13 but just because it's been years doesn't mean I wont have the same effects and I'm not really willing to test it to see.

I've been thinking about this for months now, instead of medications would it be possible for me to get a service dog (My GSD would be the one I'd use) to take with me when I go somewhere. Would my problem even be considered a "disability"?

Does anyone have any information on this that I could read up about?

Also if I could register him, would he be allowed into colleges? I've dropped out of school. My fears became to much to handle and I became homeschooled but because of my mom having to take care of my dad when he was sick I never did work. Since turning 16 we've only sent in school papers so that I could get my permit. (Which took 3 tries for me to get (And barely got it) because I'd freak out so badly being inside the building and feeling the urge to use the bathroom, I'd forget everything I knew and my whole thought would be on getting out and to the bathroom.) I'd like to go for my GED next summer which will require classes because I can't remember hardly anything from school. Would he be allowed to come with me?

Information, links, ect would be awesome!
Service dogs are not fun and games, please try some medication first becaus I garentee you it’s better then bringing your dog in the store and having your dog being kicked and hit, and service dog resgitration doesn’t exist it’s actually illegal to register your pet as a service animal it also makes it harder on real service dog teams, and having a dog with you is just going to make you more nervous and make your dog nervous and scared.

1 - 1 of 1 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.