German Shepherds Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Registered
9,025 Posts
Hi, I can not say that you "would" qualify for a Service Dog and would have to give you a "Maybe". No one is qualified to make that call over the Internet.

First, the court system has come down very hard on people who choose to use a dog in lieu of recommended medications from their doctor. So I would highly recommend that you and your mom make an appointment to go speak with your primary doctor and discuss options. There are a lot of new medications out there and you would need documentation on your medical records that you have been working with your doctor <u>and</u> that there has not been any that are successful in helping your medical disability. Your mom, you, and your doctor should be looking into all available options for you as you need to work together as a team.

A doctor as such can not write a prescription for an assistance dog but along with what they write in your medical files and if you meet the requirements of disability per the ADA then you would be considered a PWD who would be eligible for a service dog.

You would then need to decide what the dog would do for you that medication can not. Making you feel good is not a task -- that is more in line of what any pet dog does for the majority of owners. Taking a dog into public to use as an excuse to leave is not a trained task as someone could go into the public with any pet dog and say they needed to leave to care for their dog.

But, and here is another but, if you have worked with your doctor and the best medicine for your treatment (or possibly the only medicine that works) <u>also has side effects </u>that make it difficult for you to walk or put you in danger of passing out -- then those are good reasons to have a service dog.

Say if on the only medication that was found to help your condition you would often find yourself falling, then a trained mobility dog who would not only help you regain your balance, but would also assist you up from the floor, would help pull you up stairs, or would help you from topling down steps, picked up dropped items that you would be unable to lean over for, went and got help for you if you had collapsed somewhere and unable to summon help, then these are trained tasks that would make the dog a service dog.

If on the proper medication you were still unable to leave your home, go to doctor's appointments, or other needed outings, then you would need be able to show what it is that your dog does that allows you to go out. Some people can not leave their home only because they can not re-enter an empty building. Then their dog is trained to either go search the house (while the handler waits outside) for an intruder and report back that all is well inside or the handler may enter with the dog and relies on the dog to alert to the precense that there is someone inside so that they may quickly leave or in the vast majority of cases, no alert means no one is present. These dogs are then usually taught to turn lights on inside if it is nighttime on return.

In choosing a task for your dog to do you never want to go to what we call a shopping list. It is not like you say I want a task from column A and let's see two from column B. Those lists are only there to show what some people have their dog trained to do. You must sit down and decide exactly it is that you need the dog to be taught to do for you.

I hope I didn't discourage you but I wanted to let you know of some of the steps that would be need to be taken. So again, step one is to have a meeting with your doctor and talk to him/her about your treatment plan.

I'm also going to send you some info via PM. Please show this to your mom as since you are still a minor she will need to be part of your support team.

1 - 1 of 1 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.