German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
1,735 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Zeus walks outside and attacks dirt! I am using a harness to almost lift him as we walk and any chance he gets its a mouthful! if I let him, he will eat his way to China!

·
Registered
1,297 Posts
LOL Penny does this too! She love to munch on dirt

·
Registered
745 Posts
Layla loves mud. Literally eats mudpies. Hoping this stops soon.....

·
Registered
1,735 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well looks we are not alone...

·
Registered
1,895 Posts
Mattie eats dirt. She's my senior. The Weim picked it up from her, but in sure only to get attention. Mattie's senior bloodwork came back outstanding, so I don't worry.

I do correct, but mostly redirect. Can't afford the landscaping!

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

·
Registered
27 Posts
My 8 week old loves the following: poop, dirt, leaves, paper, rocks and probably so much more. However, this behavior seems to be temporary. 2 gsd prior grew out of those bad habits. The dirt i can deal with, maybe even the paper, but vigilant on keeping every thing else away from his gator-like teeth. Good luck.

·
Registered
1,735 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
My 8 week old loves the following: poop, dirt, leaves, paper, rocks and probably so much more. However, this behavior seems to be temporary. 2 gsd prior grew out of those bad habits. The dirt i can deal with, maybe even the paper, but vigilant on keeping every thing else away from his gator-like teeth. Good luck.

this gives me a little bit of hope!

·
Registered
1,735 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
So I spilled some bitter apple on dirt, and some other areas Zeus is going after... and what happened? He was excited, like I added some spice to his meal =( It says on the bottle that its guaranteed or money back, I guess I am getting my $5 back.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Kratos is the same way I'm constantly ripping something out of his mouth that shouldn't be in there. Like dirt and rocks and pine cones. I believe it passes in due time, which honestly can't come fast enough.

·
Registered
1,735 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
agree...

·
Registered
766 Posts
:/ yeah I didn't even try the bitter apple for outdoor use. We use it on clothes/furniture things that can soak up the liquid. It only lasts about five minutes too but gave us a window of opportunity of bettering his leave it.

We still have an issue with his rock kleptomania. He doesn't eat them, just carries them around which makes me nervous. He will not drop a rock for anything other than his ball and if I try to trade with him he runs away with it in his mouth. I live in WA so all of the dirt in the backyard is just rocks mostly so I'm at a loss as to what to do. :(

As to what to use to deter the dirt snacking, I've been looking up outdoor pet repellents and have come down to they only work for a short time if they even work at all just due to the poor reviews on multiple products. I'm not giving up on his rock issue and am still trying to train the leave it/drop it for rocks since he loves them so much so maybe just keep on truckin with the training as well?

·
Registered
19,157 Posts
You guys could try Bitter Yuck instead of bitter apple but be warned, if you touch ANYTHING you've sprayed bitter yuck on, it travels to anything else you touch. It's effective but OMG awful. I'd honestly only use it outside on the dirt and rocks, not in the house. And make sure you wash your hands thoroughly afterwards. Not joking when I say it's effective and travels. Accidentally touched something a friend had sprayed it with then touched a glass I was drinking from. I didn't want anything to do with that glass ever again and neither did her brothers dog who tried to sneak a drink. Spent a good 10 minutes scrubbing my hands. Use if you dare!

·
Registered
1,735 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
You guys could try Bitter Yuck instead of bitter apple but be warned, if you touch ANYTHING you've sprayed bitter yuck on, it travels to anything else you touch. It's effective but OMG awful. I'd honestly only use it outside on the dirt and rocks, not in the house. And make sure you wash your hands thoroughly afterwards. Not joking when I say it's effective and travels. Accidentally touched something a friend had sprayed it with then touched a glass I was drinking from. I didn't want anything to do with that glass ever again and neither did her brothers dog who tried to sneak a drink. Spent a good 10 minutes scrubbing my hands. Use if you dare!
can you link this product lol i will so use it!

·
Registered
19,157 Posts

·
Registered
1,735 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Thanks! I'm going to have to try this to see if it works on the rocks!:D
hehe I can see you outside spraying this on every pebble. (yah I'll be doing the same)

·
Registered
19,157 Posts
Thanks! I'm going to have to try this to see if it works on the rocks!:D
hehe I can see you outside spraying this on every pebble. (yah I'll be doing the same)

lemme know how it works for you guys outside. I'm planning to bring a new pup home towards the end of the year but I can admit, after that one incident at my friends house, I'm not sure I'm brave enough to use this again if I need to! It's strong stuff. Shasta wouldn't come near me for a couple of days because it was so strong and she's never been a chewer! I swear, I thought I could taste it on everything even after I'd managed to scrub it off!

1 - 20 of 28 Posts