German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
19,157 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Dax is by all accounts so far perfect for us, except for the issue with crate training. He simply will NOT stop screaming in the crate. I've literally never had so much trouble crate training. Its worse if he can see you but the puppy screaming is still pretty bad even when we cover the crate. During the day, he's a complete nightmare in the crate. Towards the nighttime, he's usually more accepting of the crate but we still have to cover it.

We're on a crate and rotate schedule right now until he's older for several reasons. I refuse to allow him to bond more with Shasta than with us. We've had enough problems with that with previous dogs. Also Shasta, now that she's accepted him and realized he isn't going anywhere, is very excited around him and forgets how she's supposed to behave with a puppy. She was my puppy greeter in classes so she knows what's expected of her in regards to puppies and smaller dogs. Shasta was on her time out of the crate and he literally screeched and basically threw a fit the ENTIRE time.

I honestly don't want to have to cover the crate each and every time he's in there. It's not a feasible option and he HAS to be accepting and quiet in the crate, especially if we move back home again if my husband gets accepted into the school program he is putting in for at work.

We practice obedience cues and learn new ones near and in the crate. We practice going into the crate on command and closing the door and walking away to come back again. He gets ALL his meals in the crate. We can't have him crated in our room at night because of his shrieking. Its bad enough getting a headache from him all the way downstairs. Nobody would get any sleep if he was in the bedroom with us. He's done pretty good with potty training. No accidents in the crate since his 4th day home but still have the occasional accident in my living room despite having just been outside to potty.

He'll be 10 weeks on Monday. He's Czech/DDR. When its his time to be out of the crate (every other hour or so), he runs and plays and chews on his toys and practices "sit" and learning new commands and when he just reaches that point you can TELL he's tired, he goes into the crate and Shasta gets her time out.

Has anyone else dealt with a pup that seems determined to hate the crate and drive everyone crazy? What did you do? Did you just have to wait it out? I'm running on frayed nerves and an almost constant headache at this point. He was started on crate training at the breeders and was vocal there but was said to quiet down after a few minutes. This is excessive. He's medium drive. Should I just try and continue to wait it out and hope he finally and quickly connects the dots to just accept it and deal with it? Or am I missing something? I've literally reached the point in the going on 2 weeks he's been home, I'm out of ideas.

Other than the crate problems, he's great. Riley, Zena, Shasta, my moms dog, my inlaws dogs, etc, crate training was easy-ish. 3-4 days of angry dog and then they did fine. Dax is crazy when it comes to the crate.

·
Registered
19,157 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Also need to put out there that he does not get ANY kind of attention when he's throwing one of his crate fits. He gets ignored or we get up and walk away. Only gets acknowledged when he's quiet and calm.

·
Registered
19,157 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Have you tried Crate Games with him yet?

not yet. I have to be able to keep my kids from butting in so I generally have to wait until Geramy gets home from work and that's difficult sometimes.

·
Registered
1,373 Posts
I mean, I understand not wanting to cover it all the time but until he is at least a bit more comfortable + combination of crate games I think you should cover it anyway, then wean the cover off?

·
Premium Member
14,021 Posts
Has anyone else dealt with a pup that seems determined to hate the crate and drive everyone crazy? What did you do? Did you just have to wait it out? I'm running on frayed nerves and an almost constant headache at this point. He was started on crate training at the breeders and was vocal there but was said to quiet down after a few minutes. This is excessive. He's medium drive. Should I just try and continue to wait it out and hope he finally and quickly connects the dots to just accept it and deal with it? Or am I missing something? I've literally reached the point in the going on 2 weeks he's been home, I'm out of ideas.

My female always hated the crate, but she eventually quieted down in there. The new one, a one year old male, is more vocal and not showing any signs of shutting up:) My guess is he would be okay out of the crate, but I like my cats alive:D

·
Premium Member
11,268 Posts
What about crating the other dog beside him so he does not think he is missing out on something? I'd do the feeding in the crate etc....you are already doing that.

Lee

·
Registered
3,855 Posts
If I were you I'd at least try to cover the crate and see what happens. :) My pups all start out in a Vari-Kennel and I cover the door with a towel. Never had a problem with them getting use to it.

·
Premium Member
21,368 Posts
I like Lee's idea (as well as crate games)

All of my dogs, when they were puppies, would throw a hissy IF they were crated when WE were in the house..Yes I ignored, but they 'know' your (general your) somewhere close by and have a hissy:)

Honestly , I've never had a puppy bond to my existing dogs vs me..so I really didn't separate when I was around. I've had 4 dogs at once, one being a puppy at differing times, and sure they like the adult dogs, but never ever had one bond to another dog.

Good luck, I don't really have much advice :)

·
Registered
2,892 Posts
Are the kids ignoring him while he cries in the crate? If yes, can you put on a radio nearby? Give him something to listen to.

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

·
Super Moderator
5,912 Posts
I know if I had my puppy crated while the big girls were out, he'd have a howling fit. I crate everyone at the same time. They all come out, they all go in. Sage loves her crate, so she isn't a problem. Carly doesn't want to be crated, but I told her she needed to take one for the team and get over it. :) Russell is a cheerful little guy, so what ever the big dogs do, he's willing to do it too.

·
Registered
874 Posts
Roxy is great in the crate at bedtime...I think my problem is more separation anxiety than a crate issue...but I'm anxious to hear replies. She's a howler in her crate when I leave the house.

·
Premium Member
14,021 Posts
Roxy is great in the crate at bedtime...I think my problem is more separation anxiety than a crate issue...but I'm anxious to hear replies. She's a howler in her crate when I leave the house.
Mine are completely quiet in the crate when I leave the house, its only when I'm home and they aren't out and about.

·
Registered
874 Posts
phone app

there is actually a phone app that is puppy radio...it is like pandora for pups...there are all kind of stations with different kinds of music on it for different situations.
when we first brought Roxy home she would whine a little bit in her kennel when we went to bed...so I started turning that radio station on when we went to bed..set the timer on the application and by the time it stopped..she was sound asleep.

·
Registered
68 Posts
I just went through this whole crate-screaming thing with my boy Zar- he screamed in the crate for 3 whole weeks before he finally accepted it!! :eek: Very strong-tempered guy!
What helped when I was around to keep an eye on him was to give him a high-value chew toy- for him it was a bully stick. He has since learned to love frozen kongs stuffed with raw meat too. I did not give him any toys or chew items when I went out or when I was sleeping. I always throw treats into crate with a "go crate" command. Also make some crate times very short and some much longer so he knows it's not alway going to be a super long time in the crate. And I always waited until he was calm to let him out- also always made him sit to be let out- no barging out of the crate.

Wishing you success- it's not fun at all!! :(

·
Registered
19,157 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
What about crating the other dog beside him so he does not think he is missing out on something? I'd do the feeding in the crate etc....you are already doing that.

Lee

The crates are next to one another. Doesn't matter. He still screams.

If I were you I'd at least try to cover the crate and see what happens. :) My pups all start out in a Vari-Kennel and I cover the door with a towel. Never had a problem with them getting use to it.

Covering the crate is the faster way to get him to stop and chill out which is what we've been doing the majority of the time.

I like Lee's idea (as well as crate games)

All of my dogs, when they were puppies, would throw a hissy IF they were crated when WE were in the house..Yes I ignored, but they 'know' your (general your) somewhere close by and have a hissy:)

Honestly , I've never had a puppy bond to my existing dogs vs me..so I really didn't separate when I was around. I've had 4 dogs at once, one being a puppy at differing times, and sure they like the adult dogs, but never ever had one bond to another dog.

Good luck, I don't really have much advice :)

Riley got too attached to other dogs over his people and Shasta is okay with/without other dogs as evidence by the fact she's been fine since Riley's been gone. I just want to limit their interaction for a little while until I have better focus from Dax.

Are the kids ignoring him while he cries in the crate? If yes, can you put on a radio nearby? Give him something to listen to.

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

The kids ignore him when he cries. If they don't, they get sent to their rooms. They know they're not supposed to even look at him when he's acting up or go near him. We have rough days where the puppy behaves better than the kids but that's normal for everyone.

·
Registered
19,157 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I just went through this whole crate-screaming thing with my boy Zar- he screamed in the crate for 3 whole weeks before he finally accepted it!! :eek: Very strong-tempered guy!
What helped when I was around to keep an eye on him was to give him a high-value chew toy- for him it was a bully stick. He has since learned to love frozen kongs stuffed with raw meat too. I did not give him any toys or chew items when I went out or when I was sleeping. I always throw treats into crate with a "go crate" command. Also make some crate times very short and some much longer so he knows it's not alway going to be a super long time in the crate. And I always waited until he was calm to let him out- also always made him sit to be let out- no barging out of the crate.

Wishing you success- it's not fun at all!! :(

he has by far been my most difficult with the crate. He only gets his bully stick in there. He's not interested in kongs yet, unless he's trying to convince Shasta to give up hers(never happen lol). Crate times vary too. he's crated over night and will wake me up in the middle of the night to go out but otherwise he's pretty good at night. he's also learning the harsh reality of the door only opens when he's calm and not jumping around. he's not a fan of the "wait" command. He looks at me like "I'm a puppy! I don't WAIT for anything!" Just keep hoping for that light at the end of the shrieking tunnel to reach us quickly.

·
Registered
68 Posts
he has by far been my most difficult with the crate. He only gets his bully stick in there. He's not interested in kongs yet, unless he's trying to convince Shasta to give up hers(never happen lol). Crate times vary too. he's crated over night and will wake me up in the middle of the night to go out but otherwise he's pretty good at night. he's also learning the harsh reality of the door only opens when he's calm and not jumping around. he's not a fan of the "wait" command. He looks at me like "I'm a puppy! I don't WAIT for anything!" Just keep hoping for that light at the end of the shrieking tunnel to reach us quickly.
Zar didn't care about empty kongs either, but when they have food in them he's much more interested!

Well if he's anything like my stubborn boy, you'll only have about one more week of this! ;) I could not even take a shower in peace without being serenaded! I'll be interested to see how long your boy keeps this up! Oh and my guy is opinionated about lots of other things too- has a mind of his own!

1 - 20 of 30 Posts