German Shepherds Forum banner

41 - 60 of 76 Posts

·
Registered
371 Posts
Quick add- these are suggestions that may work. But they are still very very risky and could result in severe bodily injury! I just want to make that really clear.

Again, there is no guaranteed safe way to break up a serious dog fight.

·
4,483 Posts
I have watched a video by Chris Fraize on how he breaks up a dog fight. If you want to see his technique he has a You Tube video. He explains why he does what he does but he also admits there is a very good chance of getting bitten.

I have the idea in my head and I hope I never have to put it into practice.

·
Registered
871 Posts
I've heard that each owner is supposed to grab their dog by the hind legs and then pull it apart from the other dog?

I also really hope I never have to do this!!

PS
Beware of kicking the other dog...someone said they kicked a Great Dane that was attacking their dog, and it turned and bit them on the leg...a deep bite to the calf, they walked home with shoe filled with blood...

·
Registered
31,828 Posts
Breaking up shepherds is no fun. And yes, you can be bitten. Grabbing for a collar is, yeah, a good way to get bit. Normally, I am alone with two or more bitches going at it. I found it is best to get non-committed spectator-dogs out of the way first, then anyone who is in it, but not really in it, safely tucked away until you are down to your main combatants. Then I go for a tail. I grab a tail and drag one of the bitches to a gate and get one in and one out and then wait for the opportunity when one of the grips relax enough for me to gain ground.

Mostly I manage it so that I haven't had a serious fight in years. Also, bitch fights are usually inter-pack fights, so they are my own dogs, no other owner to help, but no one likely to sue me either.

I still say, get out of Dodge if you can. Keep your eyes on what's happening all the time, and avoid the situations, so you can prevent them.

·
4,483 Posts
GSDchoice;9212347 Beware of kicking the other dog...someone said they kicked a Great Dane that was attacking their dog said:
I had a smaller dog that got into a scrap with another dog over a bone. I reached in to break it up (being clueless) and my own dog turned and bit my leg. It was redirected anger and as soon as she realized what she had done the fight stopped. She felt whatever dogs feel when they look mortified. The other dog grabbed the treat and ran.

Dogs, in the heat of the moment, can and will bite attack anything that gets in the way.

·
Premium Member
383 Posts
I feel like this shouldn’t have to be said but...

Please do not attempt to obtain a proficiency in the martial arts for the purpose of engaging in hand to hand combat with an animal.

You can tune into live PD this week to see how that turns out.

Stay strapped, bear spray, hardwood walking stick or a gun.

·
Registered
537 Posts
"while I don't disagree with you I think anyone adopting "the breed that shall not be mentioned" would know it's also a formidable breed as well."

In my personal experience, I haven't had many issues with folks who own larger dogs. The problem dog owners in my area seem to all have purse dogs. It's so bizarre trying to explain to a full grown adult why it's a bad idea for their 10lb off leash schnoodle doodle doo to charge and nip at my 75lb Shep mix. But I've basically had to do that a couple dozen times and now my dog needs to be segregated from other dogs. Unfortunately, a lot of folks see small breeds as all the fun of a dog with none of the work.

·
Registered
7,134 Posts
I had a smaller dog that got into a scrap with another dog over a bone. I reached in to break it up (being clueless) and my own dog turned and bit my leg. It was redirected anger and as soon as she realized what she had done the fight stopped. She felt whatever dogs feel when they look mortified. The other dog grabbed the treat and ran.

Dogs, in the heat of the moment, can and will bite attack anything that gets in the way.
Bolded, many will, but some are clear enough in their thinking and know who's grabbing onto them. Once Ranger and Ollie decided to really really not like each other we had the misfortune of breaking up a few fights. I always ended up wth Ranger and not once did he try to bite me, he was always freakishly calm about it.

·
Registered
332 Posts
Discussion Starter #49
"while I don't disagree with you I think anyone adopting "the breed that shall not be mentioned" would know it's also a formidable breed as well."

In my personal experience, I haven't had many issues with folks who own larger dogs. The problem dog owners in my area seem to all have purse dogs. It's so bizarre trying to explain to a full grown adult why it's a bad idea for their 10lb off leash schnoodle doodle doo to charge and nip at my 75lb Shep mix. But I've basically had to do that a couple dozen times and now my dog needs to be segregated from other dogs. Unfortunately, a lot of folks see small breeds as all the fun of a dog with none of the work.
Ugh I’m in the same boat. I have no idea why it’s socially acceptable for little dogs to act so vicious while the owner laughs it off. My dog understands at this point that they’re a nuisance and she doesn’t respond. But if one ever bit her hard enough and she did respond, I would feel no shame. I don’t even let her meet small dogs at this point. Most are poorly trained.

·
4,483 Posts
Bolded, many will, but some are clear enough in their thinking and know who's grabbing onto them. Once Ranger and Ollie decided to really really not like each other we had the misfortune of breaking up a few fights. I always ended up with Ranger and not once did he try to bite me, he was always freakishly calm about it.
I'm glad your dog understood that it was you and probably understood what you were trying to do. I watched a video the other day where a man with two dogs went after one smaller dog. The humans appeared to be in no danger as the attackers were focused on their prey. It was as if the humans didn't even matter much. But if those attacking dogs changed target he would have been in trouble.

·
Registered
7,134 Posts
I'm glad your dog understood that it was you and probably understood what you were trying to do. I watched a video the other day where a man with two dogs went after one smaller dog. The humans appeared to be in no danger as the attackers were focused on their prey. It was as if the humans didn't even matter much. But if those attacking dogs changed target he would have been in trouble.
He's my only one who is like this. I'm not sure where it comes from, focus may be part of it. He's not reactive either and has lower prey drive than my others. He's not the norm though, caution is definitely warranted should folks find themselves in a situation where they need to intervene.

·
Registered
2,142 Posts
Yes, it is very common for a dog being bitten by another dog to redirect its bite to a human, even if it would normally never show aggression to a human. The pain just makes them lash out at the nearest thing they can get their mouth on, even if it's the owner they love!

Same goes for the attacking dog. Keep your hands out of the middle of a dog fight, or you WILL regret it!

·
Registered
1,783 Posts
Nigel- I've experienced the same thing- did some really stupid stuff breaking up a fight like grabbing collars and sticking my face very near a dog's face. The shepherds seem quite "clear headed" even in a fight. I certainly wouldn't count on this, but it's been my experience.

Different breeds are more likely to redirect or even direct the fight at a human. I haven't seen this with shepherds.

·
Registered
2,142 Posts
Muskeg, it depends on the dog. My GSD bit someone very seriously when another dog latched on his leg and wouldn't let go!

Never say never...:crying:

One of the first things they teach you in canine first aid is to protect yourself from being bitten by a dog that's in pain.

·
Registered
419 Posts
Now here's an interesting way to stop a dog attack. An 88-year-old veteran didn't have any kind of weapon handy, so he used a . . . holiday nutcracker. It worked:

REMOVED- no pit bull attack stories allowed

You'll have to do edit/copy edit/paste to get the link to work.

·
Registered
31,828 Posts
Nigel- I've experienced the same thing- did some really stupid stuff breaking up a fight like grabbing collars and sticking my face very near a dog's face. The shepherds seem quite "clear headed" even in a fight. I certainly wouldn't count on this, but it's been my experience.

Different breeds are more likely to redirect or even direct the fight at a human. I haven't seen this with shepherds.
I have. I put my hand into a dog fight trying to grab a collar and came away with stitches.

And when I woke up because the bitch wanted out, I let her out, they were sleeping in crates in my room, because they had had WWIII when I came back from vacation. I went back to bed, and when I woke up, still half asleep, I thought I could let one out when I let the other one it. Arwen started it. She bit Jazzy in the back. Jazzy swung around and got ALL of my calf in her mouth. I thought, "That is going to leave a mark."

I got the one in and the other out, and went to access the damages. ER. drain, antibiotics, punctures and black and blue and green and yellow and red all over. Yeah, took over a year to heal.

Bitches. Bitches will keep you on your toes.

·
Registered
5,514 Posts
I think that it is important for people to keep in mind that ALL of the self defense tactics discussed have failed in real life scenarios and at best, should be deployed with nuisance dogs, not dogs that are truly dog aggressive with serious intentions. It is too easy to get lulled into a placebo effect if you rely on these tools much to the detriment of your dogs.

·
Registered
4,899 Posts
I think that it is important for people to keep in mind that ALL of the self defense tactics discussed have failed in real life scenarios and at best, should be deployed with nuisance dogs, not dogs that are truly dog aggressive with serious intentions. It is too easy to get lulled into a placebo effect if you rely on these tools much to the detriment of your dogs.
It’s best to stay away from situations where you would have to protect yourself or others from life threatening attacks if possible. They do not end well. I can’t post my extended family’s story because it is too graphic and I can’t mention details due to board rules, but the person who tried to break up the attack had no idea what she was dealing with. She managed to separate the small dog from the attacker using sheer brute force and adrenaline, but the dog lunged back for a second attack.

·
Registered
4,899 Posts
Now here's an interesting way to stop a dog attack. An 88-year-old veteran didn't have any kind of weapon handy, so he used a . . . holiday nutcracker. It worked:

REMOVED- no pit bull attack stories allowed

You'll have to do edit/copy edit/paste to get the link to work.
Can you please message the link?

41 - 60 of 76 Posts