German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,556 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
this weekend we are kenneling tyson at our vet until monday. we are going on a camping trip that i wish i could take him with. i dont think that he has any seperation anxiety as of yet but could this cause him to develope a problem??

·
Registered
27,244 Posts
Would it be stressful for him at a vet over an actual boarding facility? I would be worried if he was not exercised(mental&physical) enough, that would give me anxiety just thinking about it! Is he comfortable w/vet?

·
Registered
478 Posts
my storm hates when i leave him even at home. he chews stuff even at one year old. just tonight i took the kids to mcdonald's for dinner. got home and he chewed up 2 of my 9 year old son's work of arts.

·
Registered
979 Posts
I am curious about this too. Marley is 4.5 mo old and will be boarded the week after next for 7 days. She is going to an actual kennel though where she will have an air conditioned indoor/outdoor run and an exercise pen.

Will this cause them to be anxious once they come home? Any signs to look for when we drop the dog off or pick them up?

·
Registered
1,556 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Originally Posted By: onyx'girlWould it be stressful for him at a vet over an actual boarding facility? I would be worried if he was not exercised(mental&physical) enough, that would give me anxiety just thinking about it! Is he comfortable w/vet?
trust me i've got major anxiety! i've never left this dog even for one whole day. for the most part i think he is comfortable with the women that work there. i've taken him there often for socializeing and to be weighed so its not too foreign to him. as far as excersise i told them no walks due to a torn muscle in his shoulder (entirely different conversation) so they are just going to keep him in the indoor/outdoor kennel run.i also noted that with a toy in your hand u have his full attention. i trained him in czech so i will have to give them a list of the commands. also im going to take a toy and blanket from home that he sleeps on.

i know that there are members on here that kennel there dogs for weeks and i dont know how they do it. he's only going to be there for 4 days and 3 nights so hopefully it wont feel like eternity for him

·
Registered
9,796 Posts
I've always liked to do a couple "dry runs" when kenneling a dog that's never been left in a boarding kennel before. I'll take him to the kennel for a few hours or a full day just so he gets used to everything before leaving him for an extended stay.

·
Registered
5,392 Posts
I think a big key to avoiding (or overcoming) separation anxiety is in the coming and going routine you have with the dog. Never make a big deal about leaving or returning. No big scenes when you leave "goodbye, be a good boy, we won't be gone long, I'll miss you..." none of that. Just leave.

Perhaps even more importantly, no big reunion scenes when you get back. "Oh, Scooter! I'm so glad to see you, Did you miss me!!! Oh come here and let me love you!!!!"

All this just gets a dog wound up about your coming and going---you're signaling to the dog that there's something to be anxious about.

Instead, when you come home (or come back to get the dog from a day at the vet/groomer/boarding, etc.) keep it extremely low key. I don't even speak to my dogs or look at them for at least a minute before walking in the door. And because of this, they don't get all whipped up when I come in the door---most of the time, they look up from the couch as if to say, "Oh, it's you. Back again already? Let me know when you want something, otherwise I'm going back to my nap."

I can get in the door, set my things down, even change clothes, and THEN call the dogs and get all the lovin' I want.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts