German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
283 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After doing a search on this I still have question. Emma suffers separation anxiety, or at least I think it is this.

If I leave her alone or get out of her sight for a while, she will wine or bark, and when I come back she is very clingy, wining and needed to be cuddled.

Yesterday I had a Doc appointment, so I put her in her crate, with her bully stick and toy. She was very good going in, but once I closed the door to the room I heard the wine. I ignored it. I was back within 2 hours and when I went to let her out of the crate, she was all over me for attention. Lots of wining and mouthing. She wanted a lot of attention before settling down. I had to redirect with her toy to get her off of me.

Today I was dong a bit of pasture work. I had her in the back year and walked around the corner out of sight. I was gone for 5 minutes getting tools and tractor out. It was like I was killing her when I came around the corner to check, She was yelping and wining to be with me, so I went to comfort her.

I left her in the fenced back yard and was working where she could see me (on tractor), but the moment I went behind something I could hear her yelping.

I have never had a dog this clingy or loyal wanting to be right with me all the time, as she always wants to be with me, even when I go to the bath room. She will paw and be right outside the door.

Is this some sort of fear response? Its rare that I or someone is not around her, so she is not alone very often.

Even when I let her out of the crate in the morning, It like I have been gone. Her crate is at the foot of our bed.

So I guess the question is, when I do come back, do I cuddle, or just pet and ignore her wanting all the attention.

I was going to get her groomed, but wondered what reaction she would have to me leaving her for the hour or so.

Thoughts

·
Registered
1,895 Posts
My weim went through some serious SA after I adopted her. It was years ago, now, but the gist of what I remember is no cuddling when you return.

The goal is to make your comings and goings as nonchalant as possible.

You can also do things like pick up your keys and coat like you're about to leave and then put them right back down again and don't leave. Break the association that leads up to their panic.

Pretty sure one thing you shouldn't do is return to her when she's crying for you.

I wish I had more advice. It was very trying for us, but we got through it, and it seems like ancient history now...as I trust it will for you someday.

·
Registered
54 Posts
What ages are you talking about? This has been in my mind but so far not an issue at 4.5 months. Only separation anxiety he gets is when he's separated from his food one minute past any of his meal times.

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

·
Registered
2,892 Posts
Fiona used to be with me 24/7. Her trainer said that she needs some alone time. So I leave her and go to the store or something. When I get back, she goes nuts like your pup. The suggestion is to ignore her until she calms down. That us harder done than said. She is jumping all over me and whining. I am going to try putting her in a down stay or a sit stay before I pet her.

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

·
Registered
283 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Trainer today gave me information on this. I need to work on laving her alone for periods of time. Stare out small and work up. Leave her in the crate, back yard, somewhere save out of site and then come back. This was one of the first lessons for us to work on. Has to do for future long stay or down when we are out of site.

She said it was OK to love up afterwords, but do not reward wining or very submissive behavior.

So we shall see.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts