German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My German Shepherd is 4 years old and has horrible separation anxiety! I need ideas on how to control it

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Every time I leave my house she goes nuts and paces. She can’t leave my side or she can’t lose sight of me even if I have gone 2 ft she gets up and comes to me

·
Registered
1,009 Posts
Is she a new dog, or she has had anxiety for all of the 4 years with you?
Sometimes they are very clingy/anxious when they are new - they aren't sure how long you'll be around. My dog was pretty anxious when we first got him.

Do you have a schedule where you need to leave for work at 8 every morning?
If you have a partner, can you jigger the work schedules so your dog is alone for a shorter period?

Anyway some things that helped me were starting with very short absences (like, getting the mail) and working up to longer ones (going to buy milk (20min) working up to coffee with friends (2hrs)
And for the longer absences, leaving a "consolation prize" like a Kong smeared with peanut butter on the inside helps to take the Pain out of being alone :)
I tried to time my absences for after a long walk (long walk + licking at a Kong puts him in a tired relaxed mood)

Other methods I've heard of but haven't tried are DAP diffusers (emit soothing pheromones like a mom dog), playing music or TV while you're out, and even vet-prescribed meds.
Symptoms of more serious anxiety are destroying things (i.e. even breaking their teeth on crate wire, destroying crate) or going to the bathroom uncontrollably even if housebroken.

I like Patricia McConnell, she wrote a pamphlet about training Separation Anxiety...

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I have had her all 4 years. I think it’s been going on for about 2 years. I have tried vet recommended meds haven’t gotten to the prescribed meds. I have tried calming drops, the thunder shirt. My boyfriends mom says every time we leave her she paces for a little bit and then calms down but I want to be able to trust her without putting her in the crate

·
Registered
316 Posts
There is no cut and dry answer for dog food and opinions vary greatly. We use Diamond Naturals currently and Kirkland signature would be about the same I believe. Victor is also a brand we have used in the past with good results. Some on this forum feed their dog a raw diet as well. Many also like the Fromm Brand. I would just search the forum with these options if you would like to know more.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts