German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,
Miki is 1.1/2 now, I’ve had her since she was a pup:)
I’m pretty sure she suffers from separation anxiety. I leave her with a meaty bone pretty much every day when I collect the kids from school (about an hour). She isn’t fussed when I proceed with my leaving ritual (getting my keys and coat on etc) although she likes to follow me around before I leave. When I walk out the door it’s all good too. No problem.
The issue is when I leave the house entirely, if you know what I mean. We have a window on our front door, and she struggles to tolerate being left once my shadow disappears I think.
I left to run a 10 minute errand today, and didn’t leave her a bone, but left her some tasty things in her food bowl instead. I also recorded the audio from when I left, and she cried for 10 minutes straight, although it began to ease off after 5mins. She’s happy to be by herself when she knows people are in the house somewhere (and when she’s not confined...). She doesn’t become vocal when I leave her with a bone either, but I’m not sure about if that keeps her quiet for the full time I am away.

I’m applying for jobs now and planning to move out from my parent’s with her ASAP, so I plan to leave her home alone for up to 4 hours max at a time when all that is sorted if we can overcome this! I know this is a pretty common problem.
Does anybody have any success stories or similar experiences? Thank you!😋

Attachments

·
Registered
9,354 Posts
Look at her, how she focuses on you! Adorable, the two of you!
I was told, when my puppy was little and did the same thing, that the cure for separation anxiety is more separation. What I would do is start now, leave her alone for longer and longer periods of time, adding 10 minutes each time.
Also, exercise her before, so she will be tired and sleep. Leave Kongs, frozen and stuffed with goodies for her to enjoy. If you are worried, video cameras are pretty inexpensive nowadays and you can check in and see what she is doing while you are at work. Good luck with your endeavors.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Aww thank you so much for your compliment! Yes... some separation training is definitely due. Thanks for your reply:)

·
Registered
57 Posts
Aww...Miki is beautiful. :wub:
When I leave for an extended period of time (no more than 4 hours), I leave Blu in her crate with some toys and some treats. We would've had some play time by then so she is always ready to chill in her crate by the time I'm ready to go run my errands. When I get back, I let her out and we have lots of cuddle time.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yes isn't she lovely! Yes I might try leaving her in her crate tomorrow with a bone or something when I go out, just for a few mins. She gets pretty worked up if she hears the door go but she might be a little more relaxed if she doesn't have to watch me leave.
The other day I left treats all around the house and set up my iPhone camera by the door. I was out for an hour and all good! Although she came to check the door often. When I got back all the hidden treats were missing!:) success! x

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Man... what a day.
It turns out Miki barks non stop when I leave her. I went out for 4hrs the other day. I feel really terrible! I guess I was moving too fast. We'll be using daycare again and go back to basics training-wise. Any words of comfort/advice? Thanks x

·
Registered
119 Posts
Man... what a day.
It turns out Miki barks non stop when I leave her. I went out for 4hrs the other day. I feel really terrible! I guess I was moving too fast. We'll be using daycare again and go back to basics training-wise. Any words of comfort/advice? Thanks x
Have you tried crating at all? Or is she left out?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Yeah I leave her out! She likes her crate but goes absolutely ballistic if I look like I'm about to leave. I think I'll start working on desensitising her to her triggers while she's crated. I have to do something if I'm to stay in all day😆x

·
Registered
893 Posts
Hmm I feel like I've written this before so forgive me if I have...
But have you started with the "go out to mailbox and get mail, come back" and then the "go take out trash and come back" working up to the "go to grocery, buy milk and a few things, come back"? And for the longer outings, leave a Kong filled with a bit of something tasty (like a smear of Peanut Butter). Anyway the gradual longer and longer times seemed to work for my dog - I work from home, but I regularly leave him for 4-5 hours at a stretch without drama now.

And the timing...it's good to go after your dog has had a long walk, they will be relaxed/drowsy and less likely to freak out while you're out.

( My dog seems to need a I'm Going Out Now cue - I tell him to "stay stay" and put my hand in a Stop position when he follows me to the door. If for some reason I forget to do that, I come home and he's very anxious and he scolds/howls at me! It's like he is saying, "I didn't know where you went!?!" So for me at least, being very obvious and structured about Leaving, seems comforting to him. )

·
Registered
1,254 Posts
What's your attitude when you go? When Nitro was younger he started to get upset when I left. My son, his favourite person, was at home so my internal dialogue/attitude was "Knock it off! You're ok". Taking a no nonsense, matter of fact approach, and the verbal cue "See ya later!" instead of mentally 'buying into' his emotion fixed the problem for me. Hope this helps :)

·
4,510 Posts
Sometimes it is best if we are completely no nonsense about it. Going out and coming in are no big deal, no huge ceremony, no "be a good dog while I am gone". Sometimes I take my dog on a ride to an errand and then sit with them in the car, while someone else goes in and gets the errand done. I want my dogs to understand, at least a little, that not all trips go to the park. I'm not leaving them behind to have a wonderful adventure without them. Sometimes leaving the house means going someplace boring.
SA is tough. I had a small dog that had it. She was a rescue. My daughter in law, one of her dogs is dealing with it. Try stuff for a week or so and it it doesn't work, tweek it or try something else. And then share what works!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts