German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,
Miki is 1.1/2 now, I’ve had her since she was a pup:)
I’m pretty sure she suffers from separation anxiety. I leave her with a meaty bone pretty much every day when I collect the kids from school (about an hour). She isn’t fussed when I proceed with my leaving ritual (getting my keys and coat on etc) although she likes to follow me around before I leave. When I walk out the door it’s all good too. No problem.
The issue is when I leave the house entirely, if you know what I mean. We have a window on our front door, and she struggles to tolerate being left once my shadow disappears I think.
I left to run a 10 minute errand today, and didn’t leave her a bone, but left her some tasty things in her food bowl instead. I also recorded the audio from when I left, and she cried for 10 minutes straight, although it began to ease off after 5mins. She’s happy to be by herself when she knows people are in the house somewhere (and when she’s not confined...). She doesn’t become vocal when I leave her with a bone either, but I’m not sure about if that keeps her quiet for the full time I am away.

I’m applying for jobs now and planning to move out from my parent’s with her ASAP, so I plan to leave her home alone for up to 4 hours max at a time when all that is sorted if we can overcome this! I know this is a pretty common problem.
Does anybody have any success stories or similar experiences? Thank you!😋

Attachments

·
Registered
9,344 Posts
Look at her, how she focuses on you! Adorable, the two of you!
I was told, when my puppy was little and did the same thing, that the cure for separation anxiety is more separation. What I would do is start now, leave her alone for longer and longer periods of time, adding 10 minutes each time.
Also, exercise her before, so she will be tired and sleep. Leave Kongs, frozen and stuffed with goodies for her to enjoy. If you are worried, video cameras are pretty inexpensive nowadays and you can check in and see what she is doing while you are at work. Good luck with your endeavors.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Aww thank you so much for your compliment! Yes... some separation training is definitely due. Thanks for your reply:)

·
Registered
56 Posts
Aww...Miki is beautiful. :wub:
When I leave for an extended period of time (no more than 4 hours), I leave Blu in her crate with some toys and some treats. We would've had some play time by then so she is always ready to chill in her crate by the time I'm ready to go run my errands. When I get back, I let her out and we have lots of cuddle time.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yes isn't she lovely! Yes I might try leaving her in her crate tomorrow with a bone or something when I go out, just for a few mins. She gets pretty worked up if she hears the door go but she might be a little more relaxed if she doesn't have to watch me leave.
The other day I left treats all around the house and set up my iPhone camera by the door. I was out for an hour and all good! Although she came to check the door often. When I got back all the hidden treats were missing!:) success! x

1 - 5 of 5 Posts