German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm a newbie to this forum and to GSD's. I have a 12 year-old Rottweiler that I've had since a pup along with his brother who is over the bridge.

Anyway, I've searched these forums and I feel like I've done everything "right" in order to not create separation anxiety with the new pup (who is 13 weeks old) yet he is showing signs.

When I leave him home with my husband and daughter, they say he scratches at the door and then goes around to house "looking for me." When I come home, again I don't make a big deal, he calms down.

When I take him out of his crate when I come home, he whines and jumps on me, again I ignore him and don't make a big deal. After I take him out to pee, he finally calms down. And no, he isn't whining because he has to pee. This happens after only being crated for 30 minutes.

Then yesterday my husband got home before me and let him out of his crate. He said he was acting crazy! He wouldn't come out of the garage (where the crate is in the kennel) and just kept jumping around. He was honestly afraid he would hurt himself because of how crazy he was acting, so he put him back in the crate. I came home about 20 minutes later and let him out, and he was fine (actually more calm than when I normally take him out.)

What am I doing wrong, and what can I do to fix it!?

Thank you so much!

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

·
Registered
7 Posts
I wouldnt open my crate until the dog calms down. Takes some patience, but they do eventually get it. I go to open the crate and she would jump around.. I'd back off until she would calm down, then I'd click to mark her behavior and give her a treat. She now comes out of her crate pretty quietly.

Try using a frozen Kong filled with peanut butter when your gone. I know a trainer who did this and got good results for training her dogs for seperation.

You can also leave and come back over time lengthening the time your gone. Start with just a few minutes eventually building up to longer periods of time your absent.

Another suggestion, have you thought of doggie daycare? It might help that shes not stuck in a crate all day. These little guys are full of energy.
I noticed on days that when my pup doesnt get enough exercise, she's much more restless. Just throwing a ball for about 15 minutes with her as soon as I get home is usually enough to calm her down a bit. It also increases her appetite which makes her more receptive to some brief training (I train her with her dried kibble) before dinner.

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It's funny that you mentioned the calming before letting out AND the Kong. Two things that I've started doing and it has helped a lot. We are still having issues when I leave him home with my husband and daughter. Maybe another treat like the Kong...

As far as doggy day care, there is no need. I'm a stay at home mom. The longest that he's had to stay in his crate is 3 hours and that was only once or twice. It doesn't matter how long I'm gone, he "freaks out" just as much.

I've also come to realize that he is in the second fear stage of his development which may have something to do with it. I've upped his training which I'm hoping will help with his confidence. Which is a whole other thread. Haha! I never had fear issues with my Rotties so it's a new world there too.

Thank you for your reply!

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

1 - 4 of 4 Posts