German Shepherds Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Today I took my 9mo male pup Samson for a walk in a very familiar place. I was walking with a well known (to me and my pup) friend. He asked to walk Sam. When I handed over the leash, Sam started barking almost frantically, lunging on the leash. I was standing right next to him. I took the leash back and he continued barking, but reduced the pulling. I gave the leash back to my friend and he started walking ahead of me. Sam seemed to go into a complete tantrum. I even tried to move out of sight, which made it all worse with sharp piercing yipes and putting all of his weight into the leash. When I returned, he kept barking so sharply my ears were ringing. I'm not sure what was triggering this response. He was so upset he could not calm down again and we had to abort our walk and go home.

I have seen similar behavior when my son and I walk our two dogs together. If my son and I walk side by side, there is very little issue. If I walk with Sam in the lead, Sam is constantly pulling backwards on the leash, trying to get back to my son and our other dog. If my son and our other dog are in the lead, it's almost impossible to walk Sam as he is lunging on the leash and barking frantically. What is going on? What can I do to work on this behavior?

·
Registered
5,268 Posts
First of all, you're obviously overwhelming your dog with new situations! When you see distress like that, it's best to back off a bit and approach this in baby steps that your dog can handle.

Why you'd want your dog to be okay with someone else holding the leash is beyond me. But if that's what you want teach him in slow increments that it's okay...don't just force it on him one day and then wonder why he's not okay with it!

GSDs in general like to lead, it seems to me. So anyone in their group walking ahead causes a bit of frustration. You "can" get beyond that with many dogs, but why put them through that, unless it really is important!?

Anyway, whenever your puppy/dog is showing distress like you mentioned, just step back and consider the situation and the context. Then figure out how to slowly, incrementally desensitize them to that situation....problem solved!

Good luck with your dog!

1 - 2 of 2 Posts