German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone

Two weeks ago I adopted a 13 mo old German shep mix.. Someone had pretty much been home with him 24/7 the first week of him being with us. He was left alone for 30 min with free roam of the house and we came back to trash cans knocked over and feces in the house. The next day he was left outside for another 45 min while no one was home, the screen doors were broken and ripped down as well as a large hole dug into the yard. The next day he was again left outside for a short time and everything was left untouched. Finally after a few days of someone being home with him 24/7 he was left alone on the house with the mindset he had calmed down and understood we were leaving. 30 min we returned to him being locked in the bedroom (apparently opened/closed the door himself) and our carpet was pulled up and ripped to shreds.

What do we do? I have no idea If he has ever been in a kennel or what kind of kennel he could be in without destroying it. It's getting way too hot to keep him outside and I feel that's in humane. He had a lot of toys to chew on and gets a good amount of exercise daily. Any suggestions is greatly appreciated

·
Registered
62 Posts
I would get a crate and start crate training. Put him in for short periods of time. Turn on the tv or have music on. Reward him for being good. Gradually increase the time he is in it. They usually end up liking it. They feel safe, it is their own space.

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

1 - 3 of 3 Posts