German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Any suggestions for dealing with separation anxiety coupled with excessive barking in the crate? I have a 12 week old german shepherd who is fine in the crate when someone is in the room but the second my bf or I leave, he goes out of his head. We always make sure to take him out prior to crating him so I know it’s not to go to the bathroom. And we never leave him cooped up for a long time. I just don’t want to get complaints from my neighbors (I live in an apt) if I just let him whine/bark it out. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated!

·
Registered
1,762 Posts
If you go back to the crate when he cries and give any attention you are reinforcing the behavior. Ignore the noise, only give attention when he is quiet. Best to do crate these lessons during work hours so not to disturb the neighbors.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Tried the blanket thing as well as not giving in when he’s barking. Which is why I’m worried about the neighbors complaining because it takes him upwards of 30+ mins to calm down enough for me to praise him for being quiet for a minute. And if I don’t immediately acknowledge him being quiet, he’ll start the barking back up again for another 30 mins or more. I was just wondering if anyone else went through this because I read a lot about the breed before hand and most articles said they are whiners but not big on barking... I don’t think mine got the memo lol.

·
Registered
1,762 Posts
That is why I suggested that you do these trainings when people are at work, not trying to sleep or enjoy the weekend. You can do this. They are very intelligent pups. But barking has gotten him attention and let out so now thats what he does.

·
Registered
1,762 Posts
Maybe you could take your cute puppy and go over and say hello to the neighbors. Exxplain to them that you are training your puppy not to bark in his crate right now, it is a temporary situation.

·
Registered
813 Posts
I had the same concerns. I apologized to my neighbors before hand, also they all love him once they met him. Best advice I can give is to just leave. This is what I did and he doesn’t make a sound when in his crate whether the other dogs are home with him or if he is home alone.

·
Registered
1,902 Posts
Crate games.
Tire the puppy out beforehand with unleashed walks.
Ignore until hes quiet. Sit in another room until hes quiet, the net him out.

Its not separation anxiety. Just a puppy who needs to learn that's not how to be in a crate.

·
Registered
7,599 Posts
This is what has worked well for me, is kind to the puppy and human ears, and does not encourage practicing bad behaviors:

Reactions: Nursejulie

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I believe I forgot to mention that I currently live in Germany and my neighbors don’t speak a lick of English. They have met the puppy however and I tried my best via google translate to apologize for the noise lol. He also has no issues going in and out of the crate. He’ll nap in there, play in there all with the door open or closed but it’s only when someone leaves the room that he freaks out. We also always run him around to tire him out before crating him for more than an hour. He’ll go from being passed out cold in the crate to barking up a storm the second even one of us leaves the room.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
No, I don’t go to him when he barks and only let him out when he’s quiet. The only thing I’ll do sparingly is tell him “NO, HUSH” and he’ll quiet down after that. But if I say nothing, he’ll just keep carrying on.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Any suggestions for dealing with separation anxiety coupled with excessive barking in the crate? I have a 12 week old german shepherd who is fine in the crate when someone is in the room but the second my bf or I leave, he goes out of his head. We always make sure to take him out prior to crating him so I know it’s not to go to the bathroom. And we never leave him cooped up for a long time. I just don’t want to get complaints from my neighbors (I live in an apt) if I just let him whine/bark it out. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated!
Sounds like mine, who is always fine with his crate...until I leave to go somewhere. Have you ever actually stood outside your apartment to see how long he actually cries and barks after you have left the apartment? I always notice that Kairo settles down by the time I reach the driveway. You might try leaving the tv or the radio on for background noise while you are gone.

Reactions: Nursejulie

·
Registered
52 Posts
OMG i love this guy! Simple, but smart teaching - I never thought about putting the kong in the crate before-hand, that's a great idea. My Macey is just learning/ struggling to be in a crate and I think some of these tips will be helpful for her.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
He does always have plenty of toys in the crate but I haven’t tried the frozen peanut butter in the kong yet. Also I haven’t left the apartment yet but I do leave him in another room and will go to the other side of the apartment and shut the door to the living room or kitchen to simulate the front door closing and he usually starts to freak as soon as I leave the room. The longest he’s ever barked was over 30 mins

1 - 18 of 18 Posts