German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Premium Member
361 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So….our 22 month old male, intact litter mates are doing surprisingly well overall. We separate them occasionally for brief periods of time ( a couple of hours) but they spend the vast majority of their lives together.

My question: My husband is driving cross-country tomorrow and will be gone for a week. We are considering separating them and having my husband take one and I keep the other with me. This will be a first for them and we think it will be good for them to be separated for the week. Is there a down-side to this plan that we haven't considered?

Thanks for thoughts/advice!:)

·
Registered
7,263 Posts
Back when we only had the the girls (female litter mates), I would take one camping for the weekend and the other would stay at home with my wife. Never an issue and I too think it was good for them.

·
Premium Member
14,021 Posts
I think this depends. I actually just read about someone that did this with 2 GSDs and they had a heck of a time reintroducing them. They couldn't even do it for short periods without issues. So I guess it depends on the dogs and their temperaments.

·
Registered
2,954 Posts
My husband took our youngest with him for a week of camping last summer. I think everyone enjoyed the special times alone.

·
Registered
31,897 Posts
I would be more likely to do it with males than females. The dogs are pretty much adults now, young adults. But I would keep your greetings with the dog that went with the other low key when they get back. If there was a shift in pack dynamics, sometimes it is resource guarding of significant humans that will spark conflict.

·
Premium Member
361 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
My husband took our youngest with him for a week of camping last summer. I think everyone enjoyed the special times alone.
That's what I'm hoping for. I guess we will just have to be cautious after the trip and manage any new or different behavior. We're looking forward to the separate and special time with them as individuals.

·
Super Moderator
5,845 Posts
I think you might have an easier time of it with males than females. My girls were only 4 months apart, and when I sent one or the other to my breeders house, we had to be careful when we put them back together. My dominant girl would try to bully the other. They normally got along.

·
Registered
31,726 Posts
I would do it. But like Diane said above, I would be careful when you put them back together. Discuss that part with your trainer.

·
Registered
2,954 Posts
That's what I'm hoping for. I guess we will just have to be cautious after the trip and manage any new or different behavior. We're looking forward to the separate and special time with them as individuals.
I know from reading other experiences on this forum of issues that can arise. We know our girls well, and didn't do anything different. Let them out and we unloaded the camper, they didn't behave any differently. All dogs and relationships are unique, so do what you think best for yours.

·
Premium Member
361 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Decision was made and the week of separation has begun. Will be interesting and will discuss with trainer how to introduce them at the end of the week.
Thanks to all for your input.

·
Registered
31,726 Posts
Our two females were fighting constantly. Most often started by the Boxer. When they were separated for 2 weeks, the fighting stopped for a very long time. It was like something in the Boxer's brain reset.

·
Premium Member
361 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Our two females were fighting constantly. Most often started by the Boxer. When they were separated for 2 weeks, the fighting stopped for a very long time. It was like something in the Boxer's brain reset.
That's interesting. Our boys haven't fought for a long time....maybe 8 or 9 months now... I lost track. But we still don't trust them unsupervised. It will be interesting to watch their behavior when they are reunited. This morning Hawkeye moped around for a couple of hours, then stole a sponge I was using while laying tile in a bathroom. He acted like he decided it was his new toy ( out of character for him). I took it away and gave him one of his toys. Then he promptly fell asleep and acted like he was having a nightmare.... Running in his sleep and whimpering with his lips blowing out on the sides...he is sooooo dramatic!! I woke him and then took him with me to run errands. He sat n front seat ( that's usually not allowed but I caved). He perked up when I Took hm to the pet store and let him get a bully stick and a new fuzzy toy.
Tomorrow I will make Hm follow the house rules but today he gets a pass.

·
Registered
31,726 Posts
They are funny creatures. :)

·
Registered
10,389 Posts
I would intro them as if they were strangers and keep your own demeanor very calm and confident when they see each other again. I am sure there will be excitement on the human part seeing them again but you cannot afford chaos at that time.Let the dog that returns go back inside first to prevent the other from claiming its territory. Good luck, I hope things go OK. I think it can very well go both ways since there has been tension before. I am always very cautious and think, "When in doubt, don't". Please let us know how it goes.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts