German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
5,725 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have two females that don't get along and was thinking of putting up a dutch door to keep them in separate rooms-Would 6 feet be enough to keep them separated-Just think it would work better than having to crate

·
Registered
6,505 Posts
It depends on how high either can jump. I have seen bitches lock in over barriers and fences. Ugly.

I crate and exercise pen the bad girls separately.

·
Registered
4,782 Posts
crate and rotating will be your best friend.

·
Administrator & Alpha Bitch of the Wild Bunch
13,571 Posts
Depends on how much they don't get along. If it's a case of just keeping some sort of barrier so they can't interact, but they also are not gunning for one another and trying to get at each other, it could work. If they're the type of bitches where not getting along means they are constantly looking for ways to get at each other and settle some score, I wouldn't trust it and something secure like crate/kennel is the only truly safe option.

·
Registered
5,725 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks -crating and rotating is what I am doing-but think I will do a kennel One goes after the other

·
Registered
125 Posts
Are either of them spayed? Females tend to get along a lot better if they don't feel that they have to compete for that alpha female spot.

I worked with a few intact female pits, and spaying them was the best thing that could have happened for that family.

·
Banned
31,833 Posts
I have 39 inch baby gate with a step that makes it about 43 inches. My girls respect the gate, but I would never let them be there when I wasn't right there. Usually, the one is behind a gate, and the other is behind another four foot gate to keep her in one section of the house, that way neither tries to jump up and go for each other.

These two have never had any nasty words though. When I leave, the one goes into her kennel, so that I know they cannot kill each other while I am gone.

·
Registered
5,725 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I wouldn't try a baby gate. One is spayed and one is not-and somehow I don't think spaying will solve it-think I will aim for an indoor kennel

·
Registered
3,584 Posts
Holland.....I would keep them from coming in contact with each other too.
We have a couple of " war witches" at our home too.
It can be done, and it's common practise with many breeders.

·
Registered
7,466 Posts
indoor kennel, excellent idea.

i have two entirely separate packs, each headed by an alpha bitch. somehow we make it work (and have for a long time now), but some days it wears me out. gate, crate, and rotate...over and over and over. but what can you do, i love them all.

i got a perfect indoor-sized kennel when the c-monster had his tplo surgery and recovery...it's like 4'x4'x6' high. they also make one 4'x6'x6' high.

good luck, sounds like you've got a good plan!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts