German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,878 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Came across this in a magazine and i thought i would post the add incase anyone was having these issues and needed to try a plan b or something. I have no idea what it is or if it works, it says its FDA approved so thats good i guess. Just thought i would share:

·
Registered
1,909 Posts
my first reaction was 'is this a joke?'

i agree with john....i can see that in some circumstances, you've exhausted all other avenues - but i find the add offensive in that it seems to promote the medication as something to try early on, rather than working w/your dog. if you don't like spending time with your dogs - exercising it, training it, bonding with it - maybe best to not have a dog. perhaps it's b/c i personally would be extremely hesitant to medicate for behavioural problems.

·
Registered
1,878 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
i totally agree with you! i had to stop and re-read it a few times before i finally figured out what they were selling. I just thought that it was slightly comical that their are so many Rx out there for dogs now!

·
Registered
6,015 Posts
How did they get "EXECIZE" in a box??

·
Registered
2,255 Posts
I would caution everyone to reserve judgment of attention disorders in children unless you either have a child with such a disorder, or are a mental health professional.
Did y'all know that stimulant medications DO NOT WORK unless there is attention deficit? You can't just medicate a group of kids with this stuff and have them all calm down. You will know immediately that there is no mass medicating of the juvenile population the first time you see what happens when a kid without an attention disorder is given these meds. It's speed, folks.
My son is alive today because we are treating his ADD which was diagnosed in middle school after he went from honor student to failing. I did all the socially acceptable parent things (withheld things, grounding, etc) but my kid continued to struggle. Why? because he was physically unable to remember things he was told five minutes prior. We saw a kid who refused to do his homework or assignments at school. We, as well meaning as we were, were punishing him for it. Good for us, right? Well, he was suicidal before we finally understood that there was a problem and got him the help he needed. Because he was gifted he was able to compensate pretty well until middle school. The doctor said it is pretty common.
Now that we have his frontal lobe functioning properly, a year later, he's back happy and on the principal's list.

Attention disorders are among the ones people feel they have both the knowledge and the right to comment about. Trust me, unless you live it or you are a professional, please keep your misguided opinions to yourself. It's hurtful.

·
Registered
2,184 Posts
There is a very small segment of adults and children that are chemically imbalanced, and medication is necessary. There is also a large segment of the population that's hoping a pill can take the place of actually spending time with their family, or in this case dogs. As the father of an 11 year old daughter whose bi-polar mother insisted was AD inattentive and studied enough to convince a doctor to prescribe medication for her I know all too well the "other side of the coin" to which you are referring. Drugging dogs for jumping, barking, whining, pacing, chewing and soiling is a cop-out and a joke.

·
Registered
6,015 Posts
Quote: Did y'all know that stimulant medications DO NOT WORK unless there is attention deficit? You can't just medicate a group of kids with this stuff and have them all calm down. You will know immediately that there is no mass medicating of the juvenile population the first time you see what happens when a kid without an attention disorder is given these meds. It's speed, folks.
Lucina - hope you didn't think my post was making fun of ADD. I'm an ADD person, and yes, the meds (speed) would zing a normal (?) person out! First time I took them I almost felt tired. LOL.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts