German Shepherds Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

· Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,
My nearly 12 mo old GSD recently started crying out when we touched her back in certain areas (between the shoulder blades, down her spine and near her tail). Not every time we touched her, but on many occasions. After consulting our health insurance on call vet and making an in person vet appt (coming up in 2 days), we're still stumped as to what is happening. We tried Benadryl in case of an allergy but that didn't seem to help. She is otherwise moving around normally but is definately more subdued and chill than usual. After two days she seems a bit less sensitive. During this whole thing I noticed that her vagina is MASSIVELY swollen and I noticed a little clear discharge, but no blood. Does this line up with a heat cycle? Could her sensitivity be related to the hormone shift?
We are going to the vet in a couple of days but wondered if anyone has any insight here... it's just so weird.
Thanks so much for any thoughts on this!

· Registered
6,363 Posts
I have never had a dog show any sensitivity like you're describing while in heat. Could the two be unrelated? By the time her vulva swells the bleeding phase is usually over for the most part.

· Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I have never had a dog show any sensitivity like you're describing while in heat. Could the two be unrelated? By the time her vulva swells the bleeding phase is usually over for the most part.
Thanks so much for reply. I'm definitely not sure they are related at all. It's just been such a mystery I thought I'd see if anyone here had any insight. Interestingly, her sensitivity has disappeared... only lasted for 2-3 days. Heading to the vet this morning just to get things checked out. Hopefully she'll be able to provide some clarity.
Thanks again!

· Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
An update for anyone who is curious - Our vet attributes Reya's significant sensitivity to her heat cycle. Her most fertile days lined up exactly with her 2-3 days of high sensitivity. I guess that during this time nerve endings are more sensitive and there are many of these nerve endings localized on a dog's back, right beneath the skin. Because she is very lean, there isn't much of a fat layer to absorb the sensory input and she became ultra sensitive to the touch. Luckily we're past it now and she's is happily accepting pets all over and is well on her way to wrapping up her first heat.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts