German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
798 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
My 13 year-old mini Poodle started acting sick yesterday morning, when it was time to feed them and he didn't look hungry at all, so I just like 1/3 of his usual food in his bowl and he ate it, but not very enthusiastically. Then a few minutes later he threw it up with white foam. He threw up more foam, so I decided not to give him anything else. He has been drinking water and he doesn't throw it up.

At sometime in the afternoon he saw me move their food bags and he started acting like he was hungry. I gave him like 5 pieces of kibble along with a bit of slippery elm tea and about half a teaspoon of pumpkin, and he vomited that a few minutes later. I so regret that one, totally my fault.

But by this time the vet's office was already closed, they close early on Saturdays.

So he continued drinking water, peeing well, and then he pooped well.
Late at night he pooped again, a smaller poop, "solid" also, but I don't know if it was because of the effort when he had already vomited a couple of times that he threw up some foam right after pooping.
I gave him 2 tablespoons of slippery elm tea and he was sleeping peacefully, and looked more comfortable. So he was asking for food two hours later, and I gave him 3 pieces of his kibble one by one, with another tablespoon of slippery elm.
He didn't throw that up, so I felt relieved but didn't want to feed him more. He slept well and only asked to go out to pee.
So very early in the morning he threw up a small bit of foam, this time white/yellowish, I gave him more slippery elm and two hours later as I was about to feed the 2 other dogs, he went to poop again, (this time soft stools, but little of it, to me it was like what was left in his system) but he didn't throw up after that.

I couldn't take him to the vet yesterday cause they close early on Saturdays, and I did call them to ask after he threw up the first time if they were really going to answer their emergency number cause they never do when I need them, and I told them I may have to go after hours because of this, but that I first wanted to see how he did. You know how sometimes they throw up once and then they get better on their own.
Well, so they said yes, they even took note of my name and phone number so they knew I would contact them today, whether he was better or not.

And surprise, they don't answer! I've been calling for almost 3 hours and leaving messages and nothing...

Now he hasn't thrown up again, he does look a bit weak, not having eaten and all, but he does act like he's feeling better. He's not hiding or getting away from me or doing any of the things he does when he doesn't feel well.

But what do I do?? I have the feeling they will never answer, I don't trust other vets to take him, he has a grade 3 heart murmur and I don't want other people I don't know to give him something that would make this worse or something.

Should I continue giving him the slippery elm? What can I try to feed him? Someone said eggs, is that right? I have no chicken right now, but I can go get some later to make him boiled chicken and rice.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated, especially since they're still not answering my calls or messages! :(

·
Registered
5,126 Posts
I do understand your worry. Your poodle seems to be improving, so I would stop with the slippery elm (I haven't used it, but I would think if he were improving he wouldn't need it). He seems to have gotten out of his system what upset his tummy. The chicken and rice would be good to give. If you do give eggs - make sure they are cooked well - plain scrambled eggs. Toast with a very little butter used to settle my husky's tummy. For the vet, well, there are other vets and they would also understand the heart troubles. Since you are not getting an answer from your vet and have worried all weekend, I would look into another vet and take your senior fellow (13 congrats!) in a for a check-up.

·
Registered
798 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I gave him the slippery elm a bit after posting and he vomited AGAIN. Now I'm so scared he will get dehydrated or something and he's old, after all.
He pooped once again too, like small soft stool drops.

And no, they haven't answered yet!

What do I do?? Is there anything I can give him to prevent dehydration? I worry about his heart murmur.

But you're right, I guess I'll end up taking him to another vet, cause I'm almost 100% sure they won't call me back. Thanks for replying, Mary Beth!

·
Registered
624 Posts
Dogs will occasionally get upset tummies and throw up. Home treatment is to hydrate them and give them small portions of food so its easier for them to get used to solid food again and they can digest it more easily.

If it happens every now and then, its nothing to worry about but if your dog throws up several days in a row and refuses to eat - then you should definitely take the dog to the vet for a check-up to be sure it isn't a more serious condition.

The bottom line is though like with humans, dogs are not at the best all the time and be prepared for accidents to happen every now and then. Making sure they're they're healthy and happy is hard and ultimately rewarding work! :)

·
Registered
798 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
So drinking plain water is enough to keep him hydrated? I have some well-intentioned people here telling me he needs from Gatorade to Sprite with lemon.
I don't know I'd rather see what a vet says, at least for now.

Thanks, NormaF!

·
Registered
16,649 Posts
Slippery elm is great for the stomach but it does absorb water. With seniors I always worry. is there an e-vet in your area?

STop feeding any kibble. If you cannot get him into the vet I would make some plain chicken broth (no onions or spices) and give him that. You can put some overcooked rice or oatmeal in it and a little pureed, cooked chicken or you can just give the broth if he'll eat it plain.

·
Registered
798 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks, Ruth!

So after many calls to a lot of friends asking for vet recommendations, the mother-in-law of one of my best friends told me about one that opens on Sundays! Oh joy!!
Luckily it is also near here, and I took him.
He checked him, and he said he had inflammation that could come either from the intestines or the kidneys. I still say it was something he ate that he shouldn't have, but anyway the vet gave him antibiotics, analgesics and dewormed him.
Almost immediately he changed for the better and I gave him overcooked rice (still no chicken, but the rice would do for the first time).
No more throwing up, he does look like he's back to his old self, and anyway I'm taking him back tomorrow for a follow-up.

What a relief!! And now it feels so great knowing of a vet's office that's open on the very day when most emergencies happen!

Thank you all for your help and support!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts