German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,994 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 16 y/o female threw up today while I wasnt home, the vomit was the grossest/weirdest looking vomit EVER. Almost looked like liquid poop with a tiny amount of some sort of food...then there was some yellow liquid bile.

She also pooped in the house. Not diarrhea, but not normal poop. She was straining really badly outside when I took her out. Only managed to get a tiny bit out..

Shes acting really strange too. Any idea as to what is going on?

She had raw this morning, and shockingly, that WASNT in her vomit, but some sort of kibble or something was (she has kibble with dinner, so........from last night?)

I just gave her a 'sick' dinner that will be easy on her stomach.

If she throws up/poops in here again, I will take her in tomorrow.

·
Registered
9,805 Posts
I don't know if this can wait. This sounds like a blockage to me.

·
Registered
1,994 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I don't know if this can wait. This sounds like a blockage to me.
I thought that too, but she literally eats NOTHING except her food. I have no idea what she could have blocked inside her???? She managed to get semi solid poops out earlier inside the house.....

Oh boy. :(

·
Registered
9,805 Posts
Did the vomit smell like poop? Any way she could she have eaten some?

·
Registered
1,994 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Did the vomit smell like poop? Any way she could she have eaten some?
No possible way she could have eaten poop. It didnt smell like poop, but...I didnt exactly get close to get a good whiff of it.

·
Registered
9,805 Posts
I was actually hoping she could have. Did it look like coffee grounds, or diarrhea? is she still acting weird?

·
Registered
1,994 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I was actually hoping she could have. Did it look like coffee grounds, or diarrhea? is she still acting weird?
Yeah, me too. Cause then I'd know atleast. It kinda did look like coffee grounds, and when I scrubbed it out, underneath the now crusty brown bile, was a tint of yellow. Her other vomit was pure, neon yellow.

Yes she still is. She ate her whole meal after a minute or so of hesitation, and seems okay, shes laying down, but was panting a few minutes ago.

·
Registered
9,805 Posts
Coffee ground vomit means there is some sort of gastric bleeding.
Gosh, I hope she'll be ok. :(

·
Registered
1,661 Posts
If she still has remnants of kibble from the night before...about 24 hrs ago give or take a few hours...sounds like she has a blockage of some sort, but at the same time, the coffee grounds has me concerned as there could be bleeding somewhere.

If it were me...I'd take her in just to be on the safe side, but I'm not a vet or vet tech, just a human vet. :)

·
Registered
1,994 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Coffee ground vomit means there is some sort of gastric bleeding.
Gosh, I hope she'll be ok. :(
Yeah I know .... :( And I didnt get to see the stool, my sister cleaned it up before I got home, but she said there was red stuff in it? Her raw food is red, but would it be undigested in her stool? Or was it blood. UGH.

Im really worried about cancer in the GI tract. :(:(:(

And the worst part is, she is the family dog, and my mother does not seem to think this is serious. Obviously the type of testing, xrays and what not, is an expense I cannot afford right now. This really sucks, I hope it is nothing serious...I will give my vet a call in the a.m when they open and talk to my vet and see what they say..

·
Registered
16,649 Posts
That's blood. It could be a lot of things. Massie was doing this and it turned out she had a stomach ulcer. That would be a best case scenario with a dog your dog's age.

What do her gums look like? When you say she is acting strange, what exactly do you mean?

·
Registered
13,884 Posts
How many people wish their dog could live to be 16 years old.

I think age is going to be "the problem" . Take your loved pet to the vet and discuss how to make her comfortable .

my best wishes to you

·
Registered
2,478 Posts
I didn't see this yesterday. I hope she's going to be alright. Please let us know what the Vet says.

·
Registered
14,034 Posts
I would call the vet and talk to them. If they say the dog needs testing I would ask the vet to tell that to your Mom and hand over the phone.

·
Registered
652 Posts
You have to take into consideration that she is elderly Hun. I'd take her to a vet. Being 16 years old.. I'd imagine she will start to have more problems. Instead of asking here take her to a vet. It could be something worse.

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

·
Registered
1,994 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Well, she is alot better today. No throw up, no pooping in the house. Kept her meals down, a lot more lively today.

She did have red bloody mucus in her stool (her stool was solid and normal otherwise) this morning, might be from straining, not sure, so if it is not gone by monday, they want her to come in.

I did go and buy her a good probiotic/digest.enzyme for her today, and put that in her dinner with some canned pumpkin and yogurt, along with her regular food, she loved it. She was so happy afterward.

I swear, having a senior is scary sometimes! When they get a bit ill, it hits them much harder.

I'm glad she seems to be doing better today, she pooped again this evening but it was already dark so I could not see what it looked like. I will check in the morning.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts