German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter #1
So Koda turned 10 last week and it's got me thinking. She's poultry intolerant which has made finding dry food that she can eat fairly difficult without breaking the bank. Should I be looking for a senior food to switch her to or just keep her on the all life stages with her cosequin tablets?

Do you switch foods from all life stages to senior and at what age do you do it?

Registered
I haven't in the past. However, some of the DCM research has me reconsidering -- the senior food is usually lower in calorie, and the idea is that by feeding the recommended amount, the dog won't get fat but will still get all of the formula's micronutrients. In the past, I would have just fed less as the dog's metabolism slowed down. However, the researchers found that feeding less than the bag's recommended ration was one of the common denominators that correlated to DCM-- they were often fed less than the recommended amount on the back of the bag, in order to maintain their healthy weight. That variable caused me to say "hm" when I read the last paper from the researchers.

Super Moderator
I鈥檝e never fed senior foods to any of my seniors. not even my guy that lived to 17.

Registered
Discussion Starter #4
I've always adjusted the amount up and down a little depending on the activity level and that's usually only about 1/2 cup either way per day. I recently switched from Earthborn Holistic Coastal Catch(grain free) to Earthborn Holistic Ocean Fusion which has barley in it and is also a little lower fat and protein with more fiber because we've been having some digestive issues.

The problem that I am seeing is that even if I wanted to switch to a senior formula, They pretty much all seem to have chicken in them which Koda cannot have. The 2-3 ones that I have found that have NO chicken are expensive i.e $65+ for less than 15lb bags

Registered
I don鈥檛. I have an older dog and switched to modified raw. It鈥檚 keeping her at a good weight and I鈥檓 not worried about nutrition.

Registered
I've never used any senior formula dog foods. If anything I've fed less dog food and upped the amount of healthy additives like eggs, yogurt and meat. Fresh foods are the best thing you can add to any dog's diet. Especially aging ones as they do not digest kibble well.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts