German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 20 of 70 Posts

·
Registered
5,270 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Have a 9 year old gentleman who lost his brother and lifelong companion in November. His biggest play time was we would throw balls for his brother and he would chase his brother chasing the ball. They would tear around the yard like maniacs. Since his brother passed we can not tempt our old guy to do anything. He will not chase a ball or any other toy very far. I can get him to chase me for about 5 seconds but he just doesn't have his heart into it. He doesn't want to go for walks and will stand at the door to the car waiting to be let in. (he does love car rides and I've been taking him more and more because they seem to make him happy) He has aged so much since his brother died and I don't know what else I can do to help him. I can't lose him too! BTW we have been trying to find a rescue friend for him but so far no luck. The only interest he has shown in anything was at a rescue event there was a puppy that caught his attention but they wouldn't even consider us they wanted a working home for the pup. In May school will be out and I'll be home again full time for the summer so if we haven't found a rescue by then I'll be looking for breeder. In the meantime ideas / suggestions for getting my guy some exercise?

·
Banned
11,005 Posts
Is he on a glucosamine supplement? Anything for pain?

If he's "ok" in the joint dept., you could try just leashing him up and going - but I agree a friend might help.

We're a long ways away but we have a sweet female puppy (10-11mos.) and she needs a good home :)

(make that loooong ways away)

·
Registered
5,270 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Is he on a glucosamine supplement? Anything for pain?

If he's "ok" in the joint dept., you could try just leashing him up and going - but I agree a friend might help.

We're a long ways away but we have a sweet female puppy (10-11mos.) and she needs a good home :)

(make that loooong ways away)
No he doesn't take anything for pain and his senior food has glucosamine in it. I didn't want to give him extra for fear of him getting too much. He has never appeared to be in pain. He sure runs fast enough when he hears his food bowl. :) We haven't changed his diet or the amount he gets but he is starting to look chunky to me. I need to get him exercise somehow. Should I make him go on walks even though he doesn't want to go?

How far is a long way away? :)

·
Banned
11,005 Posts
Eastern WA! Close to the OR border though.

Extra glucosamine won't hurt, most foods don't have enough to matter.
We use Next Level for horses, it has dog dosages on the back :)

·
Registered
674 Posts
No he doesn't take anything for pain and his senior food has glucosamine in it. I didn't want to give him extra for fear of him getting too much. He has never appeared to be in pain. He sure runs fast enough when he hears his food bowl. :) We haven't changed his diet or the amount he gets but he is starting to look chunky to me. I need to get him exercise somehow. Should I make him go on walks even though he doesn't want to go?

How far is a long way away? :)
It might be worth giving him a little extra glucosamine... I just talked about this with my vet and she said that any extra his body can't absorb will just pass through. He may get runny stool for a day if you give him too much but back off the dosage a bit and he'll be back to normal. This worked wonders with my 11 year old lab/border collie. She's also on Rimadyl if she's had a particularly long day and while it's still obvious she's slowing down, she's much peppier :)

Another thing my old girl loves is going to a new place and being allowed to wander around and sniff for a while. Not a walk or anywhere with a goal but just a new place for her to explore. Definitely brightens her day.

I'm so sorry for your loss and now having to adjust to a senior citizen, it can be hard to watch :( I understand just wanting to make them happy in their golden years!

·
Registered
5,270 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Eastern WA! Close to the OR border though.

Extra glucosamine won't hurt, most foods don't have enough to matter.
We use Next Level for horses, it has dog dosages on the back :)
I've always wanted to see that part of the country. :) I'll have to ask my husband tomorrow if he would consider a road trip.

Thanks for the suggestion on glucosamine. I will give it a try.

·
Registered
5,270 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
It might be worth giving him a little extra glucosamine... I just talked about this with my vet and she said that any extra his body can't absorb will just pass through. He may get runny stool for a day if you give him too much but back off the dosage a bit and he'll be back to normal. This worked wonders with my 11 year old lab/border collie. She's also on Rimadyl if she's had a particularly long day and while it's still obvious she's slowing down, she's much peppier :)

Another thing my old girl loves is going to a new place and being allowed to wander around and sniff for a while. Not a walk or anywhere with a goal but just a new place for her to explore. Definitely brightens her day.

I'm so sorry for your loss and now having to adjust to a senior citizen, it can be hard to watch :( I understand just wanting to make them happy in their golden years!
Thanks. :) I will try the glucosamine. I don't think Rimadyl is needed yet though. He got a clean bill of health from the vet shortly after his brother got sick. He had a lump and I freaked out. Thankfully it turned out to be a fatty tumor, the vet said nothing to worry about. Mosly I think he is just depressed without his brother to tempt him to play chase and with the kids off at college. Do dogs get depressed? He has always been my cuddle boy. No one ever told him he was to big to be a lap dog. LOL I will have to try walking him in different places. It is so hard out here in the desert because people just let their dogs roam free and I don't want to run into any trouble. Maybe I'll see if he likes it up at the lake, I think leashes are required there.

·
Registered
31,576 Posts
Have a 9 year old gentleman who lost his brother and lifelong companion in November......Since his brother passed we can not tempt our old guy to do anything.
IME, dogs do get depressed. When Bandit died in an accident, Banshee (his littermate) was lost. She wouldn't do anything. She wouldn't play. No interest at all. She did not really ever play again until we got Sierra two years later.

If your dog was mostly centered on playing with his brother over you, then I would expect he's lost right now. Do you have any friends with dogs that you might visit?

btw...I use Dasuquin w/ MSM (buy from Amazon!) and have noticed a significant improvement in Jax.

·
Registered
3,334 Posts

Poor boy. He might be in some pain as well as depressed. My 9 yr old has bad arthritis and has been on Dasuquin (has a bit of pain reliever in it) and carprofen (generic of rymadyl). My guy is a picky eater so I don't give him extra glucosamine like I give my 2 girls.
Since he likes going for rides do that. At 9 I don't stress about the exercise, my guy gets about a 1 hour walk everyday to keep him mobile, but I don't think he needs that much. He still likes to chase the ball a few times.

·
Registered
5,270 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
IME, dogs do get depressed. When Bandit died in an accident, Banshee (his littermate) was lost. She wouldn't do anything. She wouldn't play. No interest at all. She did not really ever play again until we got Sierra two years later.

If your dog was mostly centered on playing with his brother over you, then I would expect he's lost right now. Do you have any friends with dogs that you might visit?

btw...I use Dasuquin w/ MSM (buy from Amazon!) and have noticed a significant improvement in Jax.
Unfortunately our friends with big dogs are not in this state. We do have friends, with dogs, nearby but they are itty bitty. I'm afraid Buddy might accidently hurt them. He doesn't know his own size. I was just reading the reviews on the Dasuquin it sounds like good stuff. I'm willing to try just about anything. :)

·
Registered
31,576 Posts
Definitely order it from Amazon. I paid about $60 for the last bottle. I"ve priced per pill compared to others and at that price, it's competitive. I did a double dose for Jax the first month. Do you give fish oil? Definitely add that to his diet if you don't.

Are there any trainers in your area that might be able to suggest a possible playmate? From your description, he didn't really play with the ball...he played with his brother who played with the ball. Is that correct?

·
Registered
5,270 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Poor boy. He might be in some pain as well as depressed. My 9 yr old has bad arthritis and has been on Dasuquin (has a bit of pain reliever in it) and carprofen (generic of rymadyl). My guy is a picky eater so I don't give him extra glucosamine like I give my 2 girls.
Since he likes going for rides do that. At 9 I don't stress about the exercise, my guy gets about a 1 hour walk everyday to keep him mobile, but I don't think he needs that much. He still likes to chase the ball a few times.
I don't think he is in any pain. This is the biggest baby in the world. He is very vocal when telling us something hurts. :) He was just used to getting a lot of exercise, because I would spend a lot of time wearing them out in the mornings, before I went to school. I just never realized how centered his play was around his brother. I can not get him to chase the ball on his own. He likes squeeky toys but isn't interested in chasing them either. I'm worried because up until his brother died he was a very active healthy senior. Without the exercise I can really see a difference. He is gaining weight so I've cut back his food a little. This makes him most unhappy.

·
Registered
5,270 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Definitely order it from Amazon. I paid about $60 for the last bottle. I"ve priced per pill compared to others and at that price, it's competitive. I did a double dose for Jax the first month. Do you give fish oil? Definitely add that to his diet if you don't.

Are there any trainers in your area that might be able to suggest a possible playmate? From your description, he didn't really play with the ball...he played with his brother who played with the ball. Is that correct?
I'm on fenced acreage in the middle of nowhere. There are no trainers or dog parks or any of that stuff close. I drive 30 + miles just to get to the nearest pet food store. I do have some fish oil. I will try giving that to Buddy. His vet has always said he is healthy. His bloodwork has always been normal so I've never needed to add anything extra to his diet.

Yes you are correct. I never realized how centered his play was on his brother until he wasn't around anymore. We would go out every morning and play ball. I would toss the ball as far as I could and Shadow would going tearing after it. Buddy would go tearing after Shadow. Buddy woud sometimes get the ball first and would bring it back. We have a big old tree limb that my husband would toss and one dog would get on each side of it and they would bring it back.

Inside the house I can get him to chase a snugga tug for short distances but I take it outside and he is not interested. I've tried holding it and running from him and he is interested in chase me for a few seconds but I am not fast enough or in shape enough to keep his attention. They would both go chasing after rabbits, lizzards and anything else moving in the yard. The other morning we went outside to a rabbit sitting right there and Buddy just looked at it. It took off running and he wasn't even interested. :(

·
Registered
1,245 Posts
Sorry your old guy is struggling. It is hard to watch them age. I am sure he is lost without his brother, so sad:cry:

We have a senior (almost 10), he is very inactive due to severe arthritis in his knees and spine. Amazingly he doesn't whine or let us know it hurts, even though I am sure it does. So at this age I would make positively sure there are no joint issues. I would look into gluco suppliments as the amount in food isn't enough to help. We have Kaos on a slew of meds/suppliments which I won't bore you with since pain doesn't seem to be his problem, but if you find out it is, there are a lot of things you can add that help. Feel free to PM me if you want any of that info.

You mentioned kids off at college, are there neighborhood kids that you would trust to come over and play with him? My boys going out in the backyard is one of the only thing that gets my Kaos excited anymore. He doesn't do a lot of ball chasing or walking, but he loves being outside with them. Another thought you said you cut back his food, we have had to do that as well....Kaos hated me for it. Whatever amount of kibble I cut back I would replace with vegetables so that he would still feel like he was getting a lot. It eased his "constant hunger" while helping him lose weight.

I hope you are able to find some things that work for him, it is so hard to watch them unhappy and not know what to do about it.

·
Registered
31,576 Posts
Look on vitacost for fish oil and vit e. Good prices and shipping isn't outrageous

It sounds more like depression than pain to me. :(

And ifyou order from vitacost, let me know and I'll email you a coupon for $10 off. Just PM me your email address and I'll send it.

·
Registered
674 Posts
Has there been any progress on possibly getting him a golden friend? I would agree with some of the other posters that is sounds like more like depression than old dog pain :( Poor guy...

·
Registered
5,270 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Thanks everyone for the suggestions. If Buddy is depressed how do I help him? He has been through a lot the last several years with kids heading off for college and me going back to school and such.

Sashadog, we have not filled out any applications with the Golden rescue yet. I have been researching Golden's and I'm not sure that it is the right dog for us. We have been spoiled by our Shepherds.

Msvett2u, I got your pm and will respond this evening when I get home from school and have more time. Thanks for the link :)

Mysweetkaos, thanks for the suggestion but we do not live in a neighborhood. I wish there were more kids that lived around here. Unfortunately because of the economy the few houses that did have kids seem to now be empty. Our little area of Nevada has the highest unemployment rate in the nation and the people trying to raise families have been leaving in droves.

·
Registered
674 Posts
I understand... It might be worth talking to them though, maybe they could keep their rescue feelers out there for a dog that would fit your needs even if it's not a golden and help transport it to your area? Not sure if they would do that but just brainstorming.... :)

Is there anything that he really really loves? Does he enjoy training with you? You said he enjoys car rides, maybe take him everywhere possible with you? Also a thought, November wasn't all the that long ago... he may just need some good loving for another couple months while he gets past the depression on his own?

·
Registered
9,796 Posts
My Mac got extremely lethargic after Honey died (I had 3 seniors die within 9 months of each other, Honey was the last). He had always been extremely active, trotted around the yard with his ball for hours. But when Honey died, he'd go out, do his business, then lay down and wait to come in. He completely ignored my other two dogs.

I mentioned this to a friend of mine who contacted another friend who was looking for a home for one of her young bitches who didn't OFA.

It sounded perfect, I had Faith flown down to Florida. She and Mac met in my front yard and he immediately picked up his ball and started trotting around the yard again. It's been three years now, Mac is 11-1/2 and they're still best buds, still pal around, he's still in constant motion when outside.

1 - 20 of 70 Posts