German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
3,132 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For those of you who have seniors and younger dogs together how do you handle it if the younger dog wants to play with the senior? For right now we just have Saba (10 yo Cattle Dog) and Casja together. Saba is selective about who she plays with and Casja hasn't really been on that list. She doesn't mind hanging out with Casja, but gets very bitchy when she initiates play. This hasn't really been a problem until now because I have always had about 6 rescue dogs here and there was always a selection of playmates.

·
Registered
8,690 Posts
I agree with both Jean & Mary, seniors have earned their rest. If they want to play then great, if they want to rest then they're allowed to rest. I don't allow the younger boisterous dogs to bug them if the senior has had enough

If a dog is getting snippy at another that's my cue to step in and deal with the situation

·
Registered
31,765 Posts
Very simple here: senior doesn't want to do something, senior doesn't have to do something and it's time for me to play with the other dog.
I have always "protected" my seniors from young obnoxiousness:).

Yup. Banshee gets what Banshee wants. If she wants to play, we supervise closely so she doesn't get flattened. If she doesn't want to play, we engage the dogs.

·
Registered
3,132 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I've been stepping in and redirecting Casja when the older dog gets overwhelmed by her persistence, but didn't know if there was something else that some of you do. Like I said right now it's just the two of them and Casja is used to having several other dogs to play with. That's not the case right now though.

·
Registered
5,270 Posts
Same here Jax08 Buddy makes it very clear when he is done, a snort and a long suffering look and we let him into his room away from puppies. I do let him correct on occasion because he is very good at it, very careful. Puppies need to learn their place and my old guy has been the best possible teacher. Tasha does not have near the patience my Buddy does. She starts getting grumpy we just put her away from puppies.

·
Registered
176 Posts
We allowed our senior, D'Argo, to set the boundaries right up front with Strider. D'Argo has no interest in playing whatsoever. There are times when we have to redirect Strider, but for the most part, D'Argo has made it pretty clear where the boundaries are. ;)

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

·
Registered
637 Posts
i have a 17 yr old, 11 yr old and 3 yr old here, the one that has to be watched is the 3 yr old so she doesnt hip check the 17 yr old.. i too redirect the young one if the 17 yr doesnt want to play.. the 11 yr old is good he wont play with the 17 yr he will just hang with her . when the 17 yr old wants to play she plays with the 3 yr old and i watch it closely

1 - 10 of 10 Posts