German Shepherds Forum banner
21 - 26 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
5,077 Posts
A victory, we have done it again folks!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
2,184 Posts
Originally Posted By: MaxGunnarHi Chris, what do you think about having a dog "finished"

I got the basic Obed rock solid and cute tricks thrown in as well but I really don't have the skills and experience to get things like bark and hold, bite work, etc
The main problem with sending your dog anywhere to be trained... ESPECIALLY IN BITEWORK is that the trainer makes money by showing results and wants to achieve that as quickly as possible. Teaching the bark and hold and establishing a proper foundation for bitework THE RIGHT WAY takes a lot of time. Teaching all of this using defense instead of prey takes much less time. It also makes many good dogs a bag of nerves on the field. The likelyhood that your dog would be yanked, cranked, pressured at least to the point that he's not having any fun and possible ruined is relatively high.

·
Registered
19,451 Posts
My dog came to me trained in obedience and agility, but I started from square one. Why? Because for me training is part of the POINT of having a dog. It's fun for both of us, we bond, we learn how to communicate, etc. I spent weeks just reinforcing and proofing sits, stays, downs...all the basic stuff. It didn't matter how trained she was, I was a totally new person in a totally new environment, and we all know dogs don't really think outside of contexts that well.

Friends and family have given me flack for spending so much time and money on training. To them, you take your dog through basic obedience and that's it. Me...I can't imagine not being in at least one training class at a time, no matter what level the dog is at. I prefer to take direction from experienced people I trust rather than call it good after a few levels of obedience or try and do it myself with books and DVDs. I don't care how much it costs, I really enjoy going to the training club 2-3 times a week. I don't have a cell phone, iPod, car payment, gym membership, tanning salon minutes....all those things other people like me usually have that I'd rather pass on so I can focus on training (read: spending time with) my dog. I love her and she's far too smart and too motivated to stop training after basic obedience or let someone else train her.

And finally, I want to do all of the training myself because for someone like me that's more of a newbie, the trainer is really training me how to train the dog. My trainer could train my dog for me, but how would I know how to command the dog or reinforce the dog? The trainer helps me train my own dog and is there for encouragement and guidance.

·
Registered
16 Posts
I agree with LicanAntai...

i say if you send your pup away for 3 weeks to be trained you are asking for a mental scar...3 weeks is FOREVER for a dog...and they dont forget what you did!!!

plus how well do you know the people you are sending your dog to???

personally i wouldnt be able to cope with sending my pup away...i miss him when he spends the night at Gramma's house!!!

·
Registered
473 Posts
Angel519,

So what have you done about training?

Here is my opinion on the issue.

If your issues for training are about your dogs seperation anxiety behavior I can see by what you have written why your dog is having these issues. You have allowed this dog to do what it wants and it's temperament can't handle it. It need a leader in it's life. Not a drill seargent just a solid leader to define the rules and be consistant. A leader that won't think in human terms but in k-9 terms. When you allow it to sleep with you, follow you everywhere, think the dog will feel abandoned if sent to a trainer and be crated, and I am sure there are many more things you have done to set up this seperation anxiety to occure.

I don't mean to be overly harsh here just truthful.

I have been a pet dog trainer for 35 years and dogs aren't born with seperation issues, owners teach them how to become so dependent they can't be alone.

Teaching your dog to be crated is very possible if taken slowly and with out human emotion. Teaching her to stay a short distance from you while you work in the house, go to the bathroom, cook etc. Using basic obedience command will build confidence in your dog. But all this is not going to work until you take the pack leader role and treat her as a dog.

Working with a personal trainer will certinly give you the skills you need to gain the control over the seperation problem and work through it.

If you can't find a trainer in your area please go to Sarah Wilson's My Smart Puppy message board and ask there. Many east coast trainers are there. http://familydog.yuku.com/directory

·
Registered
915 Posts
I want to quickly add my thoughts. I am by no means a dog expert and am currently in training with Bella. Over the holidays I had no choice but to board my dog. Luckily, my trainer also does boarding. I knew that Bella would be safe there and get lots of interaction with other dogs. She really needed to be with other pups! Bella was safe and I wasnt worried but boy was she a weirdo when she came home! She was there for a week. I called daily and got reports. Bella was so excited to see me and my hubby and daughter that she lost control and tried to jump and she was just ecstatic. The trainer corrected her for this and it pained me. I do understand why though. Bella needs to learn what is acceptable I guess. Anyways, it took a few days for her to get back in step at home. I almost thought I would have to take her to the vet because she just seemed out of sorts. I am glad I chose to train her myself with the help of someone experienced and not send her away from me. Shes back to normal and we seem closer than ever. I cant imagine sending her off to bond with someone else.

21 - 26 of 26 Posts