German Shepherds Forum banner

Sending Dog Away to Train

3K views 16 replies 10 participants last post by  24kgsd 
#1 ·
I was wondering how many of you have sent your dogs away for training and if so for how long? I am sending my boy Gavin to Germany and was wondering if anyone has any tales of how their dog changed if any, were they excited to be home or indifferent? I have sent numerous horses away to train and show for a couple of years, but this is a first with a dog. I know there are people who are going to judge me and say they would never send their dog away and I wouldn't have either, except for the fact my Mother has become seriously ill and I am her primary caregiver, she lives with me and has taken the vast majority of my free time, I have remained close with Gavins breeder and she has been very supportive of me throughout my time with Gavin, when I purchased him it was for the purpose of showing and competing at the highest level, which Gavin has, I feel a sense of obligation to not only Gavin but his breeder who sent me one of the nicest dogs she has bred and as much as this is going to kill me, I have to let him go and achieve his potential without me....... for now. The breeder has recommended a great trainer she
uses in Germany and has offered to take him to Germany herself, I trust her implicitly and know that besides me, no one has his best interest in mind. I guess I am just worried that our bond will be compromised, therefor I ask for
advice from those of you with experience in this situation, also any and all
tips will be appreciated.

See less See more
#2 ·
Clearly, you're doing some serious training. I sent my 7 month old puppy to get some obedience training in a neighboring state for just under two months. He should be home in a week or two. He and I went through basic obedience, then when the time came for more intermediate training, I found myself in a situation where, for a period of time, I wouldn't always be around to take him for training, and I didn't want any lag time, so I found a terrific trainer who takes in just a couple of dogs at a time. I, too, worried about the bond, but not really between my pup and I, but between he and my 4 year old GSD. We went to visit last week and they were great with one another, and it was obvious my dog and I were fine. I suspect once you get your dog back and work with him, it'll be as if you were never apart. I think dogs are pretty resilient and, let's face it, they're smart, but they also thrive on routine and aren't really all that complex. I'll bet you do just fine. Oh, and your dog is stunning.

#3 ·
Is it Sch Training?

I know I personally would prefer to keep my dog a bit closer. But if you want to get all the tracking/obedience/protection training in and you aren't going to ultimately handle him, then YOU don't need to do the training at all so sending him away may make sense.

I usually never recommend sending a dog away cause they aren't the only ones needing the training (or usually the weak link in the training). I've found the human is the problem, and I'm including myself in that category. But I train AND handle my dog, so it's vital we are both learning at the same time so the trials are easier.

If I wasn't handling my dog, and was paying someone to trial them, then it wouldn't really matter about sending them off as long as you knew they were a responsible place that you trust. Though I'd still like to have them as close as I could, but that would be for selfish reasons or in case a problem cropped up.

#4 ·
All you can do is trust and hope. I respect your situation as it is never easy caring for an elderly parent. Sounds like Gavin's in good hands and with some good luck, you should be able to work into the structure of his training.

BTW, I like this definition of luck - It's where planning and preparation meet.

#5 ·
Thanks for the replies, and yes it is Schutzhund training, plus his breed survey, I am
hoping that Gavin will be back in the Spring, and I can continue his training at that time, my Mother has cancer and these last few months have been a whirlwind of appointments and treatments etc.... it's the only reason this is happening, but I feel I owe it to Gavin, he's a fantastic dog and loved training, he's going to love being able to train everyday in such a beautiful venue, if only I could make him understand it's for just a while and he'll be back, that's the part I have a hard time accepting..

#7 ·
I am interested in doing the same with mine but he is only 4 months right now. I have been wondering what age do u send them as well as the cost. My breeder is in the Czech Republic though.

I totally understand how you feel with regards to feeling it is a obligation to doing the most u can to show how much you appreciate the pup they gave you. The cost just scares me....lol

#8 ·
Each circumstance is different, but for me, titles on my dog mean nothing to me if I am not part of the team. It wouldn't be worth sending him to Germany to get a title(usually a rush job without the foundation we stress here in the US)

I know who your breeder is, and that she will do right by her progeny, so I think in your case Gavin will come back titled and in good shape. Thoughts are with you and your mom during this difficult time.

#10 ·
I've seen a couple dogs come back from Germany and the foundation was not strong, that is where my comment came from.

#13 ·
Thank you so much Lorie for trusting me with Gavin. I have been having so much fun with him, he is a super cool dog. Mentally he is very ready to get on with his schutzhund work. I brought him out to Gustavo Sanchez and he practically called me a liar when I told him the dog has had no protection work. The boy is ready to rock-n-roll!

Lorie was more then ready to do this training herself and would have had the ride of her life training this dog... but you know sometimes life throws you a curve ball.

#15 ·
I'm excited to see how Gavin does Julie, I am completely at ease knowing he's in your care, I plan to resume his training with him when he returns, and Melanie, his handler, is SUPER excited about showing him in the performance classes when he's back, she was so glad to hear he was going to be getting
serious training. I'm under strict orders to keep her up to date on his
progress.:)

#14 ·
Lorie, he will be in good hands. He'll come back and be all excited to see you just the same, he's not going to be indifferent to you. Gavin is a happy, resilient dog. I am in the "will never send a dog away" category but I am familiar with your circumstances and I will say that if anything ever happened to me where I could not train my dogs to their potential I would probably sell them which not really any different - it's recognizing when you are at your limit and doing what you know is best for your dog. Whether that is sending a dog away temporarily or selling/rehoming it depends on the circumstance of the individual but the intent is the same.

#16 ·
Thanks for the reply Lies, I understand your preference, but selling Gavin has never been and will never be an option, I breed horses and have sent all my best off for training and while I will admit sending a dog away is much harder, I was so overcome with emotion leaving Gavin behind, I don't have a problem handing the reins over to a person that can help my dog when I cannot, I feel I owe it to not only Gavin, but Julie, who has chosen such a nice dog for me, I fully intend to get right back into it when Gavin comes back, and my Mother is stabilized, God willing, and my mother would absolutely be heartbroken as well if Gavin were sold, she's the person responsible for my love of German Shepherds and in fact she held Gavin in her lap the day we brought him home, and God willing she'll be with me again when we pick him up!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.