German Shepherds Forum banner

Sending Dog Away to Train

3K views 16 replies 10 participants last post by  24kgsd 
Is it Sch Training?

I know I personally would prefer to keep my dog a bit closer. But if you want to get all the tracking/obedience/protection training in and you aren't going to ultimately handle him, then YOU don't need to do the training at all so sending him away may make sense.

I usually never recommend sending a dog away cause they aren't the only ones needing the training (or usually the weak link in the training). I've found the human is the problem, and I'm including myself in that category. But I train AND handle my dog, so it's vital we are both learning at the same time so the trials are easier.

If I wasn't handling my dog, and was paying someone to trial them, then it wouldn't really matter about sending them off as long as you knew they were a responsible place that you trust. Though I'd still like to have them as close as I could, but that would be for selfish reasons or in case a problem cropped up.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.