German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was wanting to take my gsd to a trainer and get her trained...I have found trainers where you give them your dog and they train them...and I have also found some where they you train them but they tell you what to do...which one would be better to taken gsd too...

·
Premium Member
7,904 Posts
I think the fun is in the journey. Learning together. I would never send my dog away to be trained. I want to train them myself. Of course with help if needed. But the dog will be MY friend, housemate, partner. So I want to be there every step of the way.

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

·
Registered
27,250 Posts
Go with your dog so you can be trained along with her. Sending a dog away is dicey...you must trust who you are dealing with and there are many that aren't in it for the dogs best interests. There are good send away people though and I know of one in GA that I'd entrust a pup/dog with, but you do need to be trained how to work with your dog, regardless.

·
Registered
27,250 Posts
Aren't there other options? Find a dog training club in your area....Remember the saying, no training is better than bad training.

·
Registered
1,513 Posts
I go with Riley to training. I found it beneficial to be there so I could also practice with him at home in between classes.

I paid $89.00 at petco, but they gave $20.00 off. It was a 6 week class meeting once a week. We were the only ones in the class. It was basically private lessons.

He is now going to start the training through our vet. It's $100.00 for 8 weeks. There are other dogs in this class and they focus on socializing. Riley really needs this, so I'm excited to start.

·
Banned
15,195 Posts
umm, i've never heard that one. that's healthy food for thought.

Aren't there other options? Find a dog training club in your area....Remember the saying,

>>>> no training is better than bad training.<<<<

·
Registered
4,509 Posts
If you do send off, make sure that you have a contract, weekly updates (video as well).

Friend sent a dog off for IPO training, due to changed schedule. Dog was in excellent physical shape (weight and muscle) when he left; fotos to prove. Came back less than 4 months later (owner felt something not right and pulled back) over 12 lbs less, no muscle tone, missing hair on haunches (like left in vari-kennel most of time), injured on one leg that had been glued (no notification to owner of any injury).

·
Registered
15 Posts
I sent Noah away to training and in three weeks I seen a huge change but I was also trained after him to know how to keep the same technique the trainer used. So I do believe you should at least have time to train with you gsd or they will convert back !

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

1 - 14 of 14 Posts