German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
9,348 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The Kombi (German station wagon) just pulled away into the morning sunshine, and drove off under the elms with Grimm inside in a Hundebox next to another dog.. a red-ticked hunting mix. I waved to Grimm and my teary vision blurred the scene.

The trainer has Grimm now for 3 - 4 weeks. Each day, he will work with Grimm 3 times. The goals are off-lead & on-lead obedience, and being able to stroll past other dogs while on lead (or off, when in a heel off-lead).

After the 3 - 4 weeks send-away training, the trainer works with DH and I and Grimm together, I think at the facility and then here in our environment, to make the training transfer to us, and correct our behaviors in handling, too... and provide Grimm with continuity.

Another part of Grimm's 'education' is the 12 hours per day that he will be outdoors in a large nature-y, green fenced in area... with a PACK OF OTHER DOGS!
The trainer safely selects dogs that get along well together to gambol and gallump together in packs during the day, and learn doggy manners and rules from eachother and, well, just have FUN and play!
. Grimm will spend 3 4 weeks learning what I have not been able to give him-- how to be a dog with other dogs!
Grimmi LOOOOVES other dogs. That, after all, is part of the problem-- he wanna start a party when he sees them. After MONTHS of focus work, clicker training, using a Halti and trying to get Grimm's attention consistantly around tempting other dogs when he is onlead here in my dog-crowded city, the training should help with the problem of him ignoring me in favor of starting doggy parties while on-lead.

We discussed with the trainer that our plan is to move out to the country, because Grimm does need more chance to run and burn off energy. Oddly, Grimm really needs only about 10 mins, twice a day-- and he's powered out for the day. Of course, without that, we clearly have problems.. and they are not Grimmi's fault. (hence, our plans to relocate to the countryside)

I miss my SnugglePig. Miss his nursing gently on my wrist, miss his leeeeaning into my lovins, miss his snortin' when he rolls in the grass, miss his smiling at me in the morning and making his "Debbil Ear"-- his face so filled with happiness, that his ear turns back on itself like the letter 'C'-- making it look like he has one devil horn.
I love my SnugglePig. May he have a wonderful adventure, and learn well!

Sorry, I know I posted this pic already, but.. here is my baby SnugglePig reacting to his nightly "massage".. being brushed! Yodeling, rolling, moaning.. and did I mention yodeling?

·
Registered
56 Posts
Oh, I am so sorry your buddy is going to be gone. I'm sure you'll miss him. We've only had Lucky for about 4 mos and already I can't imagine life without her.

Would you mind sharing the name of the trainer you are using? And roughly how much training like this will cost? I am wondering if something like this would be good for Lucky. How old does the dog need to be? Do you get to "visit" or are you out of the picture the whole time he's gone? How did you find your trainer?

Will Grimm be speaking (learning commands) in German or English?

Please keep us updated with any new information regarding how Grimm's training is going and how you are getting along! Fortunately, where we live anyway, it's not too hard to get a dog fix with all of the pups around. Nothing like your own boy, though.

((HUGS))

Hope Grimm has a blast!

·
Registered
1,210 Posts
for you! The weeks will fly by and he will be back with all his Gimmi-ness! You will have a wonderful reunion and it will be as if he never left except that he will have the habits from training instilled in his brain!

Take this time to enjoy the DH and be newlyweds!

·
Registered
9,348 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thank you for the encouragement, Kate-- and Lucky, too.
Grimm would love to meet her I bet!

Holly, you are so wonderful to remember Ulrich and I are newlyweds.. you are such a sweetheart!
Thank you also for the kind words. I am doing my best to hang in there.... without his cold nose, warm kisses..... soft yodeling...

·
Registered
9,651 Posts
Awww I can imagine how sad you will be without your Grimmi boy. At least it's only "See you later" and not "Good bye." He'll be back before you know it. And I'm sure this will help his bond with you and make your relationship even stronger. I know you know you're doing what's best for you both, even though it's hard to do. *HUGS*

Enjoy some time with Ulrich (who will probably miss the SnugglePig just as much as you). Three weeks will be over before you know it.

·
Registered
9,348 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thank you for your kindness Jamie. I will be thinking good thoughts of Grimmi, and we will be in phone contact with the trainer for reports about his education and canine-schmoozefests. Sending good thoughts to Ris to feel well soon. May her poops be so perfectly dry, you gotta vaccum 'em.

Holly, hmm.. now there's an idea! ROFL
Huggers to sweetie girl Tessa.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts