German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
798 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I'm probably being too paranoid after having to deal with such a horrible disease as renal failure, but...

Yesterday my 3 year-old girl Negra (my avatar) had semisoft stools, and I didn't think too much of it as she was eating pecans that fell from our tree. Today she had semi-watery stools (half of it was "normal" the rest was kinda watery). Not diarrhea, she only pooped once like that, same yesterday.

I have no clue if it could have been the pecans, as they continue falling and she picks them up faster than I see them, or that she ate too fast or the Salmon oil I'm giving her. I'm a bit scared that it could have something to do with their raw food too.
But the other dogs had normal stools, and she's been the only one eating pecans.

It's probably nothing, maybe just an irritation but I feel nervous. Any ideas?

Should I give her pumpkin? Less food or just nothing at all for dinner? I'm definitely not giving her the salmon oil for a bit.

·
Registered
27,272 Posts
I would give her pumpkin and the slippery elm if you still have it. The gut may be getting overworked digesting all the nuts. Good luck, keep us posted, please!

·
Registered
798 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Jane!! Thanks so much for replying!

The good thing is that she's happy, playful, eating with her usual great appetite, but I would lie if I said it didn't worry me.

I do have the slippery elm, I don't think I'll ever want to be without it again.

·
Registered
798 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I gave her only a chicken thigh for dinner (I didn't want to give her much, so it was like half what she usually eats) and canned pumpkin last night.
This morning she went back to semi-soft stools, pumpkiny colored, hehe. At least it wasn't watery anymore!

I'll give her the slippery elm in a bit, before I give her a chicken quarter. No added MM or OM for her today!

·
Registered
798 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Forgot to update!

I gave her the slippery elm before her meals and a spoonful of pumpkin after them, and she kept pooping a bit firmer. Still semi-soft, but firmer.

I took her to the vet, since her deworming was overdue anyway, and I asked the vet about this. He said he thought it was nothing, as Jane said she probably just having problems digesting the pecans. She had no fever or any other symptoms so she just got dewormed.

And right after that her stools went back to being firm, so I'm relieved and happy.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts