German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was working along side a breeder whos' family wrote books trained bred and sold German Shepherdis person convinced me to buy a bred female to sell pups , I have three pups left and he bailed on me, now I have one female and three pups to sell to break even, any productive advice besides pull my foot out of my mouth.:help:

·
Banned
11,005 Posts
There's no sales allowed on here.

Where are you located?
"To break even"? On what? The original purchase price?
It's sad when people think dogs should help pay their bills :(

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Advice as to the best way to get past this scenario, are there disability groups who could use smart dogs, The bred female costs 2600, I am food training the pups to sit to settle not be jumpers and maulers, to come, they are 12 weeks and I will continue to teach good habits to them . I am in Riverside county CALIF.

·
Premium Member
11,210 Posts
there are so so so many GSDs showing up on all the boards who have been dumped in shelters in CA....it looks like a very high risk state (for the dog!!) to breed GSDs...I hope you find these guys good homes where they are not at risk for being shelter fodder.....are there any obedience clubs near you? Perhaps a bulletin board ad some place where responsible people frequent will help...

Lee

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
A rescue is a thought I feel more responsibility to do the best even with losses, good home others in the mix , I really have mixed thoughts on this picture I am in, a panarama of ideas is needed.

·
Registered
534 Posts
Does the sire have papers? If so you can post the pedigree on pedigree database. Southern California is inundated with homeless shepherds. We have four rescues that I am aware of- So cal, OC, coastal, and westside. If your pups don't have papers you may want to consider a rescue.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Two littermates have gone to schutzhund members, and several clubs are on the informed side of pups on hand

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I will try pedigree base they are AKC sire is schutzhund 3, dam has SG 2 show, both lineages are very good hips etc.

·
Banned
5,124 Posts
Yeah if you have any kind of papers it will help. A service dog training group would not take puppies without knowing where they come from. It doesn't just take smart pups (they are all smart at that age), it takes a correct temperment. Those groups also place the dog with a family for about a year until they for sure know it has the correct temperment to be a service dog. Without papers and knowing the parents, there is too much risk for a service group to take one of your pups into training.

Look for a rescue, or post yourself on the websites that are mentioned. A rescue will help you get the word out that you have puppies available, they won't necessarily take them. You could still have them while they try to get them adopted. I'm willing to bet that a 12 week old GSD puppy would go pretty quick if you got the word out.

·
Registered
1,708 Posts
IF the pups come from good lines that match up well, perhaps another breeder in the area who deals with a similar type, would be willing to help you sell them. IF you split the selling price with a reputable breeder you could still be ahead monetarily compared to what you'd get going it alone & an experienced breeder is much better equipped to screen & select appropriate homes. If possible, look to see if there are experienced breeders who have close relatives of your pups. They're more likely know the lines well & be connected to people interested in these lines & seeking a pup.

From the little you've posted, it appears these pups might have potential beyond most rescues. Why further burden rescues if other solutions are available? It could also minimize your losses while maximizing the pups' chances of being appropriately placed.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts