German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 4.5 month old GSD named Max. My daughter has a 4.5 month old Australian shepherd named Jasper. They play really rough when she comes to visit, which I understand is normal. My problem is when Jasper is done playing and goes to get a toy to play with (whether it be his or Max's) Max goes off. Not in a vicious way, just goes immediately to take the toy back, which in turn starts the rough play again. They NEVER stop! The play gets too rough and somebody always gets hurt, as in someone ends up bleeding. Jasper gets angry when Max hurts him and then it's not play anymore. I take turns putting them in the kennel because I just don't want them together, but I really hope there is a way to fix this so visits would be easier. I want to stress though, Max has never gotten vicious with any other dog. He doesn't get "angry" and growl or try to really fight. When Jasper hurts him he just yelps and then goes back to playing. How do I get Max to share his toys and how do I get them to settle down?

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

·
Registered
4,323 Posts
They are YOUR toys. YOU decide who plays, when. Dog's don't really understand the concept of "sharing" like we do, and they won't understand "oh, I need to share and play nicely." Take the toys away when they are together, plain and simple.

·
Registered
8,690 Posts
It's resource guarding, if you put that in the search bar you'll find tons of threads on the subject

For now, take away all toys and treats while they're together. It's just going to cause stress for both dog and human until it's sorted. Dogs don't understand the concept of sharing as humans do, they just know the dog is taking something of theirs away from them and they have to defend their right to own it.

·
Registered
599 Posts
I can't remember where but I read you should always take all toys away and put them up, that dogs should not be free to have toys as they want them. The pack leader (human should tell them when they are allowed to play and not). It seems that I read that in a establishing pack mentality. We do this with our pups, when they have guest (puppy guest) they share well, but the humans control the toys at all times (putting them up and taking them out)...they never get them without supervision. The article on pack mentality may not be what you are looking for, there is so much conflicting info when it comes to dog instruction. I just know it has kept toy aggression away from our home with our 10 month old pups and the doggie guest they have.

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

·
Registered
9,344 Posts
They are YOUR toys. YOU decide who plays, when. Dog's don't really understand the concept of "sharing" like we do, and they won't understand "oh, I need to share and play nicely." Take the toys away when they are together, plain and simple.
Exactly. No toys lying around.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts