German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
284 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Over the past couple days ive noticed kai's been cleaning his paws allot. Hes walking, running and jumping normally. Hes just cleaning it when weve come back from a walk or in the garden, ive looked at it looks normal, what could it be?

·
Registered
284 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
So there's a really small chance something is stuck in his paw if he's walking/running/jumping all normal?

·
Registered
245 Posts
You'd be the best judge of whether or not his paw licking is excessive. If you think it is, it could signal a number of things - environmental or food allergies, yeast or bacterial infection, etc.

·
Registered
14 Posts
I had a GSD who was fastidious with his paw hygiene. Anytime he would come inside he'd clean his paws. If you touched his paws, he'd clean them.

He was just a dog who didn't like having dirty feet lol. Yours might be, too.

·
Registered
284 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The area he's licking is slightly red, when we try and look at it he tries tp get away..the vet said there could be something in there but wait a couple says. Is there anything i could do? im going to wait till tonight to look at it (he'll be knackard)

·
Registered
6,073 Posts
There could be an injury to the foot/paw pad. They will lick when in discomfort. While he's laying down sleeping really take a look at his feet, get a flashlight so you can look in between his pads. Also, look at the toenails.

My boy once had an injury where I believe a stick jabbed his toenail when we were hiking. The vet told me to soak his foot in warm water and Epson salt for a few days. It actually worked very well.

If there's no injury it could be allergies.

I have got in the habit of taking a warm wet washcloth and just running it over my boys coat and wiping his paws at night.

·
Registered
1,020 Posts
Yea, could be allergies, but we won't know by your description. My dog has seasonal AND food allergies! The food allergies will manifest themselves with hot spots on the belly while the seasonal allergies will manifest as red itchy paws and excessive paw licking. You have to check for injury and barring that maybe it is allergies or it could be absolutely nothing.

See if it doesn't clear up in a day or two, I would take him back to the vet (or to another vet) if it doesn't get better.

·
Registered
61 Posts
My mom's dog does this during the warmer months because of allergies. Maybe try giving a little benadryl and see if the paw licking calms down a little? If it does, then you know its most likely an allergy related issue.

·
Registered
3,325 Posts
This happened to our dog with one paw, it was very red. I washed the pad with Hibiclens, I don't know if its sold in the UK. It's a antiseptic/antimicrobial used to prep skin prior to surgery. I washed and thoroughly dried the paw 1x day for 2 days, then once more 2 days later and it cleared up.

Our previous dog had tick between it's toes, so clean well and look with a flashlight.

·
Registered
284 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Ive been reading it could be food related, begining of this month i changed the flavour of the food.

when he was born he was on james wellbeloved fish, then james wellbeloved turkey and now to fish, could it be that?

·
Registered
284 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
This happened to our dog with one paw, it was very red. I washed the pad with Hibiclens, I don't know if its sold in the UK. It's a antiseptic/antimicrobial used to prep skin prior to surgery. I washed and thoroughly dried the paw 1x day for 2 days, then once more 2 days later and it cleared up.

Our previous dog had tick between it's toes, so clean well and look with a flashlight.
Ive cleaned the paw with warm water and soap but only cleaned the one to see if it helps or not as he didint like it being done, anything else i can do?

·
Registered
284 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
excessive licking

2nd post as i now have pictures.

Kai has been licking his paw allot recently. Its 2/4 the front right and back left. They are red as seen in pictures. Ive cleaned them with salty water. What else can i do because hes walking on it normally, running and jumping?

Attachments

·
Registered
12,379 Posts
Do you have a lot of damp weather? Is your dog getting his feet wet/muddy each time he goes outside?

·
Registered
3,325 Posts
Ive cleaned the paw with warm water and soap but only cleaned the one to see if it helps or not as he didint like it being done, anything else i can do?
You can put a soapy solution in a bowl and dip/soak the paw in and then dip in a rinse bowl. Be sure to dry it well. Some soaps leave a residue, don't rinse completely and you want to prevent a secondary infections so if you can find an antimicrobial soap that may work better.

·
Registered
284 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Do you have a lot of damp weather? Is your dog getting his feet wet/muddy each time he goes outside?
Today and yesterday has been really bad weather with rain. All the days before have been hot or just cloudy but dry and he has been in the garden 24/7 for the past week (apart from these 2 days)

1 - 20 of 41 Posts