German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I hadn't been able to find something close to this, so I figured I'd ask if anyone has experienced and/or dealt with similar.

My 6mo, Retta has been getting worse and worse with not having much of an appetite for her dry food despite quite a few changes in brands (Started with beneful :/, then Wellness, Blue Buffalo, Royal K9). Right as she got home, she had absolutely no issue with it, and just scarfed the stuff down. The issue i think is that my roomate's tiny dog gets a combination of wet can food, cut up pieces of beef/turkey/chicken, cheese, and trace amounts of dry food. As is understandable, Retta is always trying to raid her dish, and if allowed will clear it in seconds. But she'll go at times the entire day just trying to get to the other dog's food and will take just a small peck at her own food. A few mornings out of the week, she'll throw up bile in the mornings, likely due to an empty stomach.

The other issue is with water. While she has a dish available, she insists on wanting to either drink from the fountain outside, toilets, or again, the other dog's water dish. We can literally redirect her when she's about to get into the toilet, and bring her to her water dish and she'll just dismiss it. This is getting frustrating, for with the fountain, she's continuously asking to go outside. Again, if we turn the fountain off and close the toilets, her mouth gets notably dry and she's noticeably less springy from what I believe is lack of water...

Anyone have any insight here? I'm all for the "she'll eat something if she's hungry" approach.. but so far it's not really the case.

·
Registered
169 Posts
My dogs get jealous of each other's food. Our chihuahua mix dog used to get wet food mixed in and the shepherd caught on and then got fussy about her dry kibble. We eventually weaned the small one off wet food (it was gross and made her breath smell anyway) which was difficult. Nowadays if someone gets extra goodies in their food, they both get it. I don't know if that's an option for you and your roommate, I just know that we've dealt with "food jealousy" before. Maybe separate them when they eat so one doesn't see what the other is eating?

·
Registered
16,649 Posts
Find a high quality, grain free canned food that she likes and mix a couple of tablespoons in with her kibble to make a gravy. I always supplemented my dogs' kibble with canned dog food, canned salmon, raw egg, cottage cheese, yogurt, etc. There's no reason they need to eat just kibble--the variety is actually better for them.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts