German Shepherds Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,228 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Panzer is 6-months old. His crate is in the living room and we eat dinner in the living room. I put him in his crate with his dinner while we eat ours. The last couple of nights, he has started a high pitched barking during the duration he's in his crate. We're not letting him out till we're done eating and he's done barking. This is a new behavior problem and I'd love to get some advice on preventing/stopping the barking.

He also has started barking at certain times in the car. Tonight while driving to our walk location he barked at the car behind us at a stop light. Or when we pull up to the walk location or the dog park, he barks - not the high pitched, but his big boy voice. How can I quiet him in the car? He typically sleeps, but when we come to a stop he stands up and barks.

Thanks!

·
Registered
27,337 Posts
His age is playing into it, big time.
When you are eating have you ever covered his crate? I would give it a try and tell him to "quiet"(or whatever word you use) when you place the cover over it, give him a high value chew at this time.
As far as the car/barrier barking is common, when he is quiet, tell him good quiet and treat him so he knows the meaning of the word. I would then command the word quiet the second he starts barking, and when he does, treat and praise him. It is a puppy stage, IMO. He's feeling like a big boy now!

·
Registered
9,602 Posts
Oh he's definitely feeling his big boy 'oats'. He's developing and maturing in many ways, different senses are coming into play and things that he ignored before are now suddenly interesting or a threat or whatever. So much is going on in such a short amount of time you've got to cut him some slack and let him experience all the changes. Naturally you want to continue training but be aware that what was nothing yesterday could be huge tomorrow. It's all part of growing up!

·
Registered
1,228 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the advice & the reminder that I have a teenager. :) Part of me can't wait to see what he looks and acts like full-grown, but the other part of me is really enjoying this age too. He's so much better than he was a couple of months ago. It's neat to see their progress.

·
Registered
3,102 Posts
I am going through many of the same things with Jake, I never realized I needed to start teaching a "quiet" command because he never really barked before....but he doesn't bark more then a few times to alert me so I find teaching the quiet command to be tricky right now but I know that soon enough I will be teaching it. Jake isn't too fearful but certainly looking at things different, he's 7 months.

·
Registered
1 Posts
yes, this car-barking upsets me too. Frida (6,5 m) barks on.. I even don't get what exactly. on one side, it is so funny as she' s not a barker, but I really do not WANT one.
I think her instinct to protect is just about to come out - she barked one night when my husband came from living room at 3a.m. - both we (Frida and I) were sleeping and suddenly woke up. she was sooo ashamed when realized to whom she had barked..

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.