German Shepherds Forum banner

41 - 60 of 161 Posts

·
Super Moderator
4,200 Posts
Happy, open and confident in new places. Food drive. Interest in me and responds to puppy puppy noises. Some prey drive but that's not terribly important at that age as it can come in later. Shield K9 has a good video on YouTube.

·
Registered
726 Posts
Discussion Starter #44 (Edited)
I would look for a dog with strong nerves and a willingness to bite. You don’t need over the top prey drive. You probably don’t need them to show much at all early on. I find it easier to work with and train a young dog in bite work that has some good prey drive. You want the nerves for one, so you don’t end up with a dog that can be run before the fight even begins. I don’t want them to be sound sensitive. I don’t want them to breakdown over new, foreign surfaces. I really like seeing their reactions to a metal grate surface. I don’t want to see them be fearful of unknown people either.
I kinda think maybe I've used the term "prey drive" incorrectly around here? I say this because recently it occurred to me I got no use for a 7 week ball chaser in and of itself. I'm FAR more interested in the ones that bring it back to me. Genetic obedience?

as for sound sensitivity, dogs are like people. Those who weren't raised around guns naturally get a little nervous. If you wait until after the schH III to fire your 12 gauge over your dog, don't be surprised when he reacts. I call that discernment. I expose a litter up to vpat, but it's your job to follow through after that.

·
Super Moderator
4,200 Posts
Go work your dog and learn about GSDs. You sound like a supply clerk that wants to go on patrol because he read the Ranger handbook.

·
Registered
6,944 Posts
The thing is dogs are living creatures, not golf balls.
In theory Sabi was not the pup I would have selected, and in practice she lacked the drive to be a great working dog. She was a quiet pup, a thinker. You could see the wheels turning at 7 weeks. She watched everything, and I do mean everything. She wasn't given to the normal puppy outbursts or foolishness, but she was fearless and adventurous. In theory I would have passed her by in selection. She taught me an important lesson. There is an essential something about some dogs that is not quantifiable. She proved to be the best dog I ever put hands on. I could have sold her a dozen times. My boss swore the only flaw she had was that he didn't own her.
You can only use a clipboard so far, the rest is instinct and sometimes just luck. You can study the genetics, you can rate the responses but the rest is seeing, really seeing, the animal itself.
And a 12 gauge? Trans Am backfired next to Sabs and Lex when my hubby tried to start it. Sabi was about a year old. Sabi moved closer, didn't even flinch. They don't require exposure, sound sensitivity shows early.

·
Super Moderator
4,200 Posts

·
Registered
726 Posts
Discussion Starter #49
well I bred him? the sum of the genetics are greater than that expressed in a parent, but that's another thread.

·
Registered
726 Posts
Discussion Starter #50
You can only use a clipboard so far, the rest is instinct and sometimes just luck.
agreed

And a 12 gauge? Trans Am backfired next to Sabs and Lex when my hubby tried to start it. Sabi was about a year old. Sabi moved closer, didn't even flinch. They don't require exposure, sound sensitivity shows early.
inherent sound sensitivity shows before vpat, but again, it's up to the adopter to follow through w/ regular exposure

the same may be said of the sporting group. not a big deal.

·
Super Moderator
4,200 Posts
well I bred him? the sum of the genetics are greater than that expressed in a parent, but that's another thread.
Oh of course! You bred a dog that you were unhappy with his prey drive and have not trained to do anything to a dog of another breed that you found impressive in grip.

Does that sound like a roadmap to success when you really think about it?

Do you think successful breeders in the venue you wish to perform choose breeding stock in this manner?

·
Registered
726 Posts
Discussion Starter #52 (Edited)

this is my venue, but I don't understand what any of that has to do with the op?

and what do you mean "austere" conditions? you always say that but I never know what you're talking about? like I'm supposed to make a pet out of him?

·
Super Moderator
4,200 Posts
You defined the venue. SCH/PSA.

·
Super Moderator
4,200 Posts

·
Registered
726 Posts
Discussion Starter #56
when shopping 7 - 8 week old litters for a potential protection candidate, what should one look for? In an individual pup, I mean. Obviously start with reputable breeder and proven working ped.

but when it comes time to pick one pup out of a good litter, what should one look for?
see? "reputable." as in theoretical. hypothetical even :)

don't make me get out my pirate flag again

·
Registered
726 Posts
Discussion Starter #57

·
Super Moderator
4,200 Posts
see? "reputable." as in theoretical. hypothetical even :)

don't make me get out my pirate flag again
You didn't say "reputable" you said reputable. You didn't say hypothetical or theatrical. If you want information, you have to provide information, not hyperbole or conjecture.

·
Registered
726 Posts
Discussion Starter #59
You didn't say "reputable" you said reputable. You didn't say hypothetical or theatrical. If you want information, you have to provide information, not hyperbole or conjecture.
no, Chief, the op was theoretical, as I clearly stated; and as usual, you had to make it personal, at which point reputable became "reputable"

but that's ok :)

·
Super Moderator
4,200 Posts
no, Chief, the op was theoretical, as I clearly stated; and as usual, you had to make it personal, at which point reputable became "reputable"

but that's ok :)
Carry on chief. And where was anything personal?

41 - 60 of 161 Posts