German Shepherds Forum banner

301 - 320 of 645 Posts

·
Registered
7,459 Posts
I wish I could hear stories. Good or bad.
I have a grandfather who was killed in WWII. I never met him, heck my father never met him. He was 28 when he was killed. No one talked about him, I did not have his real name until I was in my 30's. I was in my 40's when I found out where he was buried. I spent years fighting for his service records, finally got them. I don't even have a picture of him.
A man who is part of my family died and everyone just forgot he existed.
@David Winners I am just gonna send you a hug. Because everyone needs hugs.

·
Registered
6,774 Posts
There are reasons we don't tell anything but the funny and boring stuff. It's hard to talk about, and it's even harder to see judgement in the eyes of someone you care about. I don't care what anyone says, until you are faced with the reality of killing others day after day, you can't understand the mental ramifications, and part of you will be horrified at the things that happen in war.

My official excuse for not finishing the book is the DoD. And that is partly true. A larger aspect to me finishing that book is rehashing that year in detail. That's something I'm not sure I want to do.
I found a long and beautiful story about Fama online. That is your book. Everyone should read it.

·
Super Moderator
4,974 Posts
I found a long and beautiful story about Fama online. That is your book. Everyone should read it.
Thank you. There is the rest of the story that I would like to put together someday when the time is right.

·
Super Moderator
4,974 Posts
I wish I could hear stories. Good or bad.
I have a grandfather who was killed in WWII. I never met him, heck my father never met him. He was 28 when he was killed. No one talked about him, I did not have his real name until I was in my 30's. I was in my 40's when I found out where he was buried. I spent years fighting for his service records, finally got them. I don't even have a picture of him.
A man who is part of my family died and everyone just forgot he existed.
@David Winners I am just gonna send you a hug. Because everyone needs hugs.
Thanks

·
Registered
997 Posts
Discussion Starter #305
Got some video of little Igor failing at tug or flirt pole?
I really didn’t want to talk about little igor von zugwrack. I’ve done everything I could to avoid it. Last thing I wanna do is brag on my gsd because in my mind he was supposed to be just a “core sample” of the breed at large. No better or worse than anyone else’ gsd. You know he must have AMAZING genetic obedience because I’m still feeding him. You know he must have never even thought about hurtin’ my barn cat, let alone any other animal on property, either. I’m pretty sure as far as “real ddr” goes, I got a “good one.”

96 days old

97 days old

98 days old

99 days old

112 days old

Little igor never even knew the meaning of the word fail. That’s not the problem. The problem is, he don’t know the meaning of the word game, either. It’s not a game to him. I’m no expert about what correct gsd temperament is supposed to be, but I am the world’s foremost leading expert about what berno’s dog is supposed to be. In the mind of the great berno’s dog “it’s just business, not personal.” It’s a game, and the more you agitate and the harder you pressure, the harder they play. BUT MOST IMPORTANTLY of all, it don’t make ‘em truly aggressive. I got no use for that here. The berno dog readily trains to behave aggressively, and LOVES to play the game, but isn’t truly aggressive at all. At least, not in comparison to little igor von zugwrack. There’s no “fixing” little igor’s temperament with training. The more we train, the more aggressive he’ll get. That’s how he was born, and that’s what some people need. One man’s trash is another man’s treasure.

I’m not a cop, not a soldier, not a sport. I’m strictly private sector, just like my friend here. This to me illustrates the best possible real world protection outcome. Three against one, dog wins, nobody got shot, nobody got bit, hecktor had great time at that party, and they all lived happily ever after.

I’ve had both kinds of dogs over the years, and that’s the kind I like. “Just business, not personal.” Obviously that temperament occurs within the breed, and that’s what I’m after from little igor’s genetics. Good grips are not elusive at all if you start @ 28 days old and bring it right on up. My muttpups will grip, but again, that alone does not a great berno’s dog make.

I guess I kinda hope to like “open source” the rearing of these pups because I think by putting it all out here, eventually people who know a thing or two about it are going to speak up. I’m hoping to smoke a few real old time breeder’s out of the woodwork, maybe hand a precious nugget or two of knowledge down to the rest of us. I don’t know everything. I do know that when you get to where you think you know everything, it’s prolly time to quit.

I wanna hear from old show breeders and pet breeders too. Anybody raised a bunch of litters over the years. You’re the ones who know what kind of pups turned into what kind of adults. How do you spot a good tooth clicker early on? Don’t be shy. Tell me what you know. We got a couple weeks to kill until wean here. Hey, Khawk! You lurkin’? Tell us some old “dead dog chronicle” stories!! Pleeeeease?!?!

·
Registered
997 Posts
Discussion Starter #307

wolf skull

gsd skull

wolf and gsd skulls are very similar. Unfortunately my muttpup skulls aren't.
They took after somebody on the dam's side of the ped in the skull dept.

24 days old and they're already off and running after their noses here. They seem to be about a week ahead of the genetics I'm used to. I'm concerned about the tail carriage as well. Bein' only half gsd I'd planned to dock those little tails @ 3 days old, which is no big deal at all. Dock early day 3 and they're furred over long before they emerge from the whelping box. But MAWL threatened to put a contract out on me if I docked 'em, so if those turn into sickle tails, or worse, that's my alibi..,.

But the real reason for this post is hillbilly byb trick #1.) build up a mound of earth, like a berm, couple 3 feet high and fairly steep, then situate your whelping box directly on top of it. Doing so requires pups to constantly traverse steep inclines and really builds the muscles as they first begin to learn to move about.

·
Registered
997 Posts
Discussion Starter #311 (Edited)

:rolleyes:

the brumby are 29 days old today. They're into the dams kibble now and stomp around all stiff legged.
I'm just letting them free range.

this male is going to be interesting. Very funky head. I did not expect any of that type to express
tentatively named ahmad (responds if you pronounce it right)

I expect this female's head will be more typical. Tentatively named vlčice (responding)

this thing is a real meatbrick. Already stomps around like he owns the place. ;)

anyway, they've survived single digit lows and have already "house trained" themselves (whelping box)

·
Premium Member
539 Posts
“Survived single digit lows” ..... was that an intentional test or just a complete .... up???

Gotta ask.

·
Registered
997 Posts
Discussion Starter #313
that's just how cold it's been? 9 degrees Fahrenheit so far... they are still with their their dam...

fairly wooly undercoats and no signs of cold stress yet

·
Registered
997 Posts
Discussion Starter #314

A few words about setting them up for success. At 30 days old keep them well within familiar territory. That way any pup doesn't feel like playing can just retire back to the whelping box on it's own free will. We're looking for the ones that want to at this stage.

don't just throw them on the woodpile and walk away. Set them down low and act like a real handler. Talk them through it. Encourage them. The idea here is to convince the individual that it can trust you, and as long as it follows your lead, it'll win every single time.

good boy!

tail up! good boy, aggghck met!

My kid is throwing an absolute fit about his name, so I've agreed to try pilot (pee-lote, rhymes w/ we vote) and if he doesn't respond to that, klodo. So we'll see? I kinda like the name mookie but she vetoed that as well.

so like I said above I'm just free ranging these things because they're only for my own personal use. @ 30 days old it's time for me to start bonding them to my livestock. However, coincidentally, I was just discussing proper weaning of "top tier" litters, so I may as well share what I know about that here, with the afore mentioned "do as I say, not as I do" caveat.

Pups need to be separated from dam as soon as they're able to crunch kibble, and separated from each other @ day 49. Doing so effectively "imprints" them on humans, so much so that they don't even completely self identify as dogs anymore. Failure to do so only imprints a "wolfpack" mentality which inhibits proper bonding with human handler/s for life. That's all been standard operating procedure since the czechs did their wolf crosses. It was the primary difference between ddr and z-ps. Same genes, totally different rearing protocols. Science.

·
Registered
7,599 Posts

Reactions: Bearshandler

·
Registered
997 Posts
Discussion Starter #317
you aren't arguing against me. You're arguing against the pohranicni straze.

·
Registered
7,599 Posts

Reactions: Bearshandler

·
Registered
997 Posts
Discussion Starter #319
it's common knowledge. The czechs learned if from the wolf crosses and applied it to rearing gsd. Here again, I've done it myself both ways and the difference is night and day. I guess I can look around for a citation? I'll get back to you on that :)

301 - 320 of 645 Posts