German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 20 of 305 Posts

·
Registered
771 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
when shopping 7 - 8 week old litters for a potential protection candidate, what should one look for? In an individual pup, I mean. Obviously start with reputable breeder and proven working ped.

but when it comes time to pick one pup out of a good litter, what should one look for?

·
Super Moderator
4,325 Posts
Happy, open and confident in new places. Food drive. Interest in me and responds to puppy puppy noises. Some prey drive but that's not terribly important at that age as it can come in later. Shield K9 has a good video on YouTube.

·
Registered
1,726 Posts
I don't think you can. Some people say they can tell pretty much what the temperament of a pup will be at 8 weeks of age. I don't believe that is at all true and puppies can change quite a bit from 8 weeks to 5 months for example. You can rule out very young pups as candidates. Then you have define what you want to see in a PP dog and have to find a good trainer to train the dog for PP which are as common as hens' teeth.

·
Super Moderator
4,325 Posts
The question referred to potential protection candidates. I think you can find puppies that are potential candidates. What that dog will be in 2 years is a crap shoot. You just stack the odds in your favor.

·
Super Moderator
4,325 Posts
If I'm in need of a PPD, I'm not starting with a puppy. I'd go to a broker and test green dogs until I found what I wanted or I would buy a finished dog that met my standards and that connected with me.

·
Registered
6,985 Posts
when shopping 7 - 8 week old litters for a potential protection candidate, what should one look for? In an individual pup, I mean. Obviously start with reputable breeder and proven working ped.

but when it comes time to pick one pup out of a good litter, what should one look for?
My boss always said pick the one with attitude, because you can train it down but you can't train it up.
By attitude he referred to confidence and a bit of swagger. The ones that will push their own limits and yours as well.

·
Registered
771 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
If I'm in need of a PPD, I'm not starting with a puppy. I'd go to a broker and test green dogs until I found what I wanted or I would buy a finished dog that met my standards and that connected with me.
well, we can't all be you, Chief :) some of us have to shop local.

·
Registered
1,170 Posts
I would look for a dog with strong nerves and a willingness to bite. You don’t need over the top prey drive. You probably don’t need them to show much at all early on. I find it easier to work with and train a young dog in bite work that has some good prey drive. You want the nerves for one, so you don’t end up with a dog that can be run before the fight even begins. I don’t want them to be sound sensitive. I don’t want them to breakdown over new, foreign surfaces. I really like seeing their reactions to a metal grate surface. I don’t want to see them be fearful of unknown people either.

·
Super Moderator
4,325 Posts
well, we can't all be you, Chief :) some of us have to shop local.
That all depends on what your time is worth. You can source a green dog for less than you can purchase a pup and then raise it up to 16 months old if your time is worth anything. I don't see where shopping local gains you anything over getting a green dog except saving you travel, unless you plan on training with the breeder or something.

If your goal is to have a PPD, then the easiest path to success is to buy a finished dog. The next easiest and probably most frugal is to get a green dog and find the right trainer. If your goal is to raise a PPD yourself, then you need to stack the odds in your favor as much as possible.

·
Registered
771 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
That all depends on what your time is worth. You can source a green dog for less than you can purchase a pup and then raise it up to 16 months old if your time is worth anything. I don't see where shopping local gains you anything over getting a green dog except saving you travel, unless you plan on training with the breeder or something.

If your goal is to have a PPD, then the easiest path to success is to buy a finished dog. The next easiest and probably most frugal is to get a green dog and find the right trainer. If your goal is to raise a PPD yourself, then you need to stack the odds in your favor as much as possible.
excellent advice for anyone who has somebody to mind the store while they're off shopping green dogs

·
Super Moderator
4,325 Posts
excellent advice for anyone who has somebody to mind the store while they're off shopping green dogs
I imagine it would be the same person minding the store during puppy selection, training/scenario work, socialization to everything imaginable and vet visits.

·
Registered
1,170 Posts
That advice is true for most venues.

·
Registered
771 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
actually this is just theoretical so, take your choice. For the sake of this discussion it doesn't matter

·
Registered
6,985 Posts
for the purpose of this discussion, let's say schH and/or psa

if only for the sake of "orthodoxy"

Ok. So a sport dog. That changes things. I have never owned or handled one. Lol. So I will read and hush.

1 - 20 of 305 Posts