German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, I'm new on here, but I'm hoping someone can help. We have a 14 week old GSD puppy who has now had 3 seizures. First on 17/4 then 3/5 then 8/5. Each one lasted less than a minute, he's a little sleepy afterwards but then he bounces back to his usual (very boisterous) self. He is conscious and his eyes are focused on our daughter (who's been with him each time).

Each seizure happened early afternoon and he'd been chewing a plastic drinks bottle before the first two and a plastic paddling pool before the last one. Vets have taken bloods and everything has come back clear. They are now going to refer for MRI and cerebral tap. We are worried sick.

Does anyone have any experience of similar ? We're being told he is too young for idiopathic epilepsy therefore they are hinting at brain tumour / lesion. He shows absolutely no symptoms or any brain injury / abnormality.

He has a wonderful personality, he's a bit hyper, but he is intelligent and very easy to train. He has a huge appetite and drinks well too.

Any advice or reassurance would be so gratefully received. X

·
Registered
13,884 Posts
so sorry for your dogs condition.

have a discussion with the breeder . They have to know .

Personally I think the pup should be returned to the breeder .

Either it has a genetic base or there has been some exposure to some toxin , or it is a result of vaccination .

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
so sorry for your dogs condition.

have a discussion with the breeder . They have to know .

Personally I think the pup should be returned to the breeder .

Either it has a genetic base or there has been some exposure to some toxin , or it is a result of vaccination .
I've discussed with breeder. He has an excellent pedigree and bloodline and no sign of any previous problems. Breeder is in contact with all puppies from the litter and nothing in any of them either .

Could it be 'just one those things' and something he grows out of ?!

·
Premium Member
7,904 Posts
Puppies don't grow out of seizures. Have her tested for toxins and gave the MRI done. A malformation in the small bones in the ear may cause seizures( not a neurologist, so I may be wrong)
Good luck

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

·
Registered
5,377 Posts
I am on the side of vaccine reaction, toxin (lead? was this tested?)

did you, your trainer, or your vet use any scripted or OTC heartworm treatments? if yes, What? specifically

·
Registered
16,649 Posts
I am sorry that your pup is having seizures. This is definitely something to be concerned about. I would suspect a toxin. You mention plastic but it could also be exposure to pesticides. Do you or any of your neighbors use lawn pesticides?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts