German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking for thoughts, ideas, info, experiences if your shepherd had or has seizures.
Is it part of a thyroid problem? Could it be the dog food you were feeding? Did you find parasites in the systems (other than worms)? Other than drugs, did you use anything holistic or natural in treatment? Did you use a common cleaning product, like a swifter and now stopped using it?
I'm just looking for info. One of our rescued/adopted shepherds has started to have seizures - but not on a regular bases. We are just trying to narrow the road and try to focus on some big points before going down to the small points. Thanks

·
Registered
5,126 Posts
I know a neighbor's poodle had seizures - the petit ones - and the vet thought it could have been triggered by a drop in blood sugar - so suggested putting some sugar on the tongue which is hard to do. The dog did live to be quite old and developed the seizures at a young age - they would come and go.

·
Registered
9,796 Posts
Slider had one seizure which was caused by Comfortis.

·
Registered
5,392 Posts
Look into magnesium deficiency, as well as HW/flea/tick - spot on prevention "as cause" (both active and inert ingr.) - heavy metal toxicity (aluminum and/or mercury (rabies) in vaccines especially if rabies given at same time as others). Possible lead poisoning...and thyroid as mentioned.

·
Registered
5,270 Posts
Looking for thoughts, ideas, info, experiences if your shepherd had or has seizures.
Is it part of a thyroid problem? Could it be the dog food you were feeding? Did you find parasites in the systems (other than worms)? Other than drugs, did you use anything holistic or natural in treatment? Did you use a common cleaning product, like a swifter and now stopped using it?
I'm just looking for info. One of our rescued/adopted shepherds has started to have seizures - but not on a regular bases. We are just trying to narrow the road and try to focus on some big points before going down to the small points. Thanks
Had a shepherd who had seizures... Vet thought it was due to either a tick illness or valley fever... She had both and both can cause seizures. I personally think that her immune system must have been shot to begin with or she would not have picked up the tick illness and valley fever. None of our other dogs got sick. Later on we lost her brother to DM another immune system screw up. :(

·
Registered
123 Posts
Well, Ranger had his first seizure about three and a half weeks ago (he's three years old). Scared the mess out of us! I work nights and my wife called me at 2am in a panic. Ranger had a grand mal (sp?). I rushed home and began studying the info available here on the forum. The most hopeful I found was it might have been an isolated incident. Two weeks later we found out it wasn't. Two seizures within two hours. The first seizure lasted 10 minutes. The two later events were 5 minutes each. Off to the vet we go. $300.00 in tests later and a prescription for Phenobarbitol in hand. He hasn't had another seizure yet. We're praying this will stop them. The meds could cause liver damage so he's got a blood test scheduled in two weeks. The vet warned he would be 'stoned' from the med's for the first two weeks and she's been right. Kinda funny to see a stoned GSD!:eek:

·
Registered
766 Posts
I don't know anything shepherd specific but a buddy of mine had a Rottie with diabetes and would occasionally have seizures

·
Registered
3,334 Posts
Kiya had her 1st seizue November 2005, we hope it was an isolated incident but 2 days later she clustered and we almost lost her. She was immediately put on phenobarbitol & potasium bromide. I spent the next few years trying to figure out why and what to do. Unfortunatley I never got any answers. She has good control with meds and milk thistle has helped keep her liver values down.
After almost 8 years of pb her liver values are on the rise and currently I am switching her to a liver cleansing diet.
I have learned to live with epilepsy not for it.
Sometimes your lucky to figure out a trigger, other times there is just no rhym or reason. At first we thought stress was a trigger, until most seizures happened in the middle of the night when she was asleep.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts