German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi all i am new here , and have a 7 month old strong willed gsd female i have had for about 2 months , she is my first large breed dog . I also have a 6 yr old female cat who was part of the family before the dog. For the most part my gsd is the best behaved girl i have ever had the pleasure of being around. I also work with dogs in a doggy day care, so she gets plenty of socialization , she also gets about 2-3 hrs of exercise a day when she is not at work with me. she just recently got spayed and we thought now has been the time to slowly introduce the cat. she seems scared of the cat when she hisses and swipes, but also when the cat is just being nice she chases her, barks and makes a weird cry noise. we have given the cat her own room , while the dog has full access to the rest of the house , i have read that you should introduce them slowly which we have done , i also read before you bring your new adopted dog into the house show them the cat through a screen door , we failed to do this thinking we would scare the cat. I know its been only a few months but i wonder how many people have had succes with there dogs and cats getting along and how long this process took , i dont want to force it , but i also dont want my cat to spend most of her time locked away in a room , any advice would be helpful. Also my dog Julie is starting her basic obedience classes within 2 weeks will this help? she already knows her basic commands "leave it" , "sit" , "stay" and "heel" and a few other tricks but its so hard to break her focus when she sees the cat. I just hope someone can help me :confused:

·
Registered
1,513 Posts
Our cat is elderly 18+ years. She doesn't run, but she walks around. When we first brought Riley home he was 8 weeks. He tried to chase her and bark at her. We just told him , "No! That's our cat!" and probably because she couldn't run she just stood her ground. The first few times she was kind and didn't use her claws when striking him. It only took once with claws for him to get the idea and us telling him no.

Anyway, now they get along great. she will walk up to him and he nibbles the top of her head to scratch her and she purrs. It's kind of cute.

·
Premium Member
14,021 Posts
I have 4 dogs and 5 cats. I'm in the middle of trying to get the newest dog(1 year old male GSD that has never seen a cat in his life) how to accept the fact that the cats are not chew toys and if they hiss/swat he has to be able to take it and walk away:( My cats are very social and they do not hide, they are not afraid of the dog, and they aren't afraid to start a fight. I am teaching mine leave it. Leave it works everytime if I'm on top of the dog. He has gone from barking at them like he wants to kill them, to crying and wagging his tail when he sees them. I'm still stuck on the barking like he wants to kill them part. Everyday I let him out longer in the evenings. Yesterday he was out quite a while before I felt he was getting past that threshold. I can even let the other dogs out while he is out and about and not have any problems. My other GSD is great with the cats. She will chase them, but its all a game to her and I trust her 100% with them, the male not so much. I think it takes lots of leave its, corrections, positive rewards all together to make it work. And lots of time. It would be nice if I could train the cats.....

·
Registered
154 Posts
Leave it works everytime if I'm on top of the dog.
This sums it up for me, too! Yeah, Leave It works GREAT, if I am following my dog around the house all night, as she follows the kitty around....... I say leave it, and she does...... for about 10 seconds. And we are back to leave it again.... and again....... and again.

she is much improved since we first got her at 8 weeks (she's 26 weeks now). We have three other cats, who rarely come out of their half of the house. :confused: That is a bummer for me. I want the cats to be able to come out and feel safe.

I am going to try tethering puppy to me for awhile... I tried some last night and it was OK for a bit, but after some time I think it was just frustrating for me and for her!

Time and patience.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts