German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
330 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Guys. I'm just wondering how many of you have requested that your fur child be lightly sedated so the vet could get a good look at what they need to.
Last night I found a hard lump on Davit's front leg about half the size of a pencil eraser. My husband and I were able to get a fairly good look at it, does not look like anything penetrated it. Davit has a vet appointment Tuesday afternoon. I wanted to wait until we could get the vet we wanted, she has shepherds herself. Davit is a very "whimpy" girl. She will start to cry if you even look at her cross eyed ! The vet we request is very gentle and easy moving, not rushing, talks to the dogs, feeds treats.But I want her to be able to get a good look at this lump without having to hold down a very squirmy 80 lb baby, so I have requested she be sedated.So I'm just wondering how many of you have requested sedation before. Davit is 3 yrs old and in very good health. Any of your thoughts or suggestions would be appreciated.

·
Registered
797 Posts
Hi,
I think that any sedation should be last on your list. Maybe you should try positive reinforcement istead. Try giving treats or hugs and kisses for whenever Davit is calm at the vets. I know this is a very stressful time, but the veterinarian is not really doing any type of invavise procedures at this visit so you don't want to start having to sedate your dog every time you take her there.
I had to take Max to the vet for anal gland infusions which can be quite uncomfortable. I was worried about this and had the vet mildly tranq him so it would be easier. She had to do it again a week later and we discussed how he needed to stand at this time and not be sleepy so we decided to not give him anything at all. He was an angel. He had to stand while I held his head, while she packed his anal glands with anitibiotics. We both knew he would be okay during this so he was not medicated with medication he did not need. Go with your gut insinct, but also you are the one who truley knows your dog. Not sure if this helps or not, but please think about the fact that you want your dog to trust your veteranian.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts