German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
319 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm wanting to get Chicory's OFA preliminary xrays done, but the vet requires sedation (not general anesthesia). I really don't want to have her sedated. Is the kind of sedation used for xrays safer than general anesthesia?

·
Registered
30,372 Posts
If you want good xrays, you'll have to sedate her. It's not big deal. they give the sedation and after the xrays, reverse it.

·
Registered
319 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Is the sedation they use for this safer than general anesthesia? (had bad experience with general anesthesia and never want to do it again). Thanks

·
Registered
30,372 Posts
You should ask your vet that. Nobody here is a medical expert. I would be surprised if anyone here wants to answer that and take on that responsibility.

·
Registered
319 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I understand. I wasn't thinking of that at first.

·
Registered
4,899 Posts
Mine have both had that type of sedation and it was very mild. Ask your vet what they use and what the risks are. Occasionally a vet will xray without it but the dog must lie completely still during the process and they are placed in uncomfortable positions.

·
Registered
719 Posts
Sedation does not give you better results nor does non sedation. It’s the vet and how they position. I chose to never have my dog sedated and travel to Madison WI to get them done by an excellent excellent vet who positions the dog so well no sedation needed besides he prefers not to sedate unless absolutely absolutely necessary.

·
Registered
1,769 Posts
If it is SV A stamp I think they require sedation. You are not required for OFA. If you are uncomfortable with it look for a vet that will do OFA no sedation. Position matters. If you are located in the NY/NJ/PA area I know a good place. 350 for hips and elbows with sedation and exam fee (for A stamp) Not sure what OFA is price wise but I know they do it sans sedation.

·
Registered
4,220 Posts
I've OFAed 3 dogs. The first one was able to be done without sedation, but we trained for being restrained on her back.

The second two were sedated. My big male shepherd there is NO way they would have gotten those X Rays unless he was out. For that matter the lab is just a wiggly little worm too, so almost no chance there either but for a different reason.

I don't love sedating my dogs either... but they've all been okay.

If you have the type of dog that could learn to be restrained that way and cooperate, and you have access to a vet who will do it without sedation, then all you have to lose is money if the positioning doesn't look good once it's done.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts